Manta Hatch Wont Start

matt24680

no. the pump only runs when starter is operated or once the engine is actually running. you can check this by removing small wire from starter motor then turning key to start position.engine wont turn over because you have removed the wire but fuel pump (under rear,near tank) should run. if not check fuse in fusebox in car is ok .this should go 12v as you operate key.

I had this problem. I spent £25 on a 2nd hand 7 pin relay that sits on the o/s inner wing. Fitted that but still didnt start.

In the end it was a loose connection in fuse number 7 me thinks. To get it going at 1st I just stuck a penny in the terminals to bridge it.

That was on my GTE not so long ago.

If you switch the ignition on, then bridge the fuse box the pump will run so you should hear it.

Usally when you turn the ignition on you hear the pump kick in for a second, you can hear if it kicks in better if you have the door open.

The pump on a hatch is by the back of the fuel tank, if you look under the car from the drivers side in front of the back wheel it is tucked up the back of the fuel tank.

As said it could be a fuse connection or the fuel injection relay mounted just behind the airflow meter a little balck plug (box), or the pump, but also could be where the wires connect to the pump as these can corode sometimes.

Usally when you turn the ignition on you hear the pump kick in for a second, you can hear if it kicks in better if you have the door open.

The pump on a hatch is by the back of the fuel tank, if you look under the car from the drivers side in front of the back wheel it is tucked up the back of the fuel tank.

As said it could be a fuse connection or the fuel injection relay mounted just behind the airflow meter a little balck plug (box), or the pump, but also could be where the wires connect to the pump as these can corode sometimes.

hi..on all the mantas,carltons & senators ive had ive never had the pump run when ignition turned on at first.i beleive this is the norm. is there a mod or different relay you can use to make this happen ?

I've got the same problem,

On my previous manta there was a second where the pump kicked in before i started the engine.

I bought a new relay, made no difference.

I have to do the 2p trick, its bloody annoying and doesn't look very good.

I mentioned it before somewhere - my 33 year old v6 carbed auto mk1 granada does not have starting problems at all, even when stood for 6 months i just pump the throttle a few times and it strikes then idles lovely.

German reliable fuel injection eh!

May look into the loose connection thing though.

Just don't know how to prime the fuel pump for that second to get the fuel bled!

Non regular starting may be the problem? if its used daily on a good run it may do it some good?