Mk1 Cavalier 04/04/2011 Update

*energy*

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair clued up on the cavalier bud!im not worried about paint damage or anything like that,in my line of work my car is maintained realy well.has been commented i may have ocd!haha

Not that clued up or I would have remembered the thing was called a "Sports Hatch", not a "Sprots Hatch"!

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished now,thats all the dents fixed,two lower rear arches welded in and lead soldered smooth(no shaddy fibre glass here)new passengers side wing,new boot lid and headlights taken apart and repainted inside,wheels painted silver and black with holographic laquer over the silver to give a wee extra pop..just to paint the front bib and fit it,fit nose badge,waxoyl it,fit the chrome arches and machine polish it with 3m glaze and thats it done.so just a wee 99% finished picture until tomorrow.

next on the list,get new reg plates,lower it slighty,and get stainless exhaust done.

still cant seem to find a new rear bumper which is ashame,kinda lets the car down.

76571_116430911754563_100001629648867_107944_1359469_n.jpg

If you are looking for the 'factory fresh' look then spray the inner arches in satin black. Unlike fords of the same era they weren't body coloured.

BTW. Yes, keep the mudflaps but loose the stickers. Looking better every update, Well-done :thumbup

• 2 months later...

very nice cav, always like the cav, and like the shape, specially 4 doors. heres mine, sportier bro? manta 1.6s 1978, didnt like the colour but it grows on u, easily spotted in a car park, abit like a beacon!!!!!

P1010217.jpg

tip on lowered cars and speed mountains, get ur drivers wheel up first then passangers (taken at a angle) hopefully ur middle box doesnt catch, same with real wheels as front, it helps me!

Thought if ur lowering, ur next step is wider wheels, banded steels look well, u will need 8 rims to do this.

mine are ATS clasics 13' 8' wide.

P1010225.jpg

keep us updated, health to enjoy!

no its jamaca yellow thats the original colour.

wasnt signal yellow the ford capri colour?

Jamaica Yellow fades really quickly (or did, in the original cellulose paint), so most people are used to it as a sort of clotted cream colour rather than yellow!

Signal Yellow IS Vauxhall. It was used on some of the early cars but phased out later. One famous Signal Yellow car is the oldest known one that Richard Watt exhibits for the Cavalier & Chevette Club at Billing etc.

BJ

ahright cool,didnt know that.

my car wont fade,i put 3coats of 2k solid colour on,and 3coats of scratch resistant clear coat.

Yes, modern colours have a different base formulation anyway. If you look at shows, you don't see any yellow cars at all from a certain era between the Cav/Manta and the "moderns", due to the (toxic) original chrome-based yellow formulation being banned. It took paint manufacturers years to come up with a "safe" alternative yellow, as I understand the story.

Anything with red in it is a nightmare for fading and this problem has never been 100% solved. Black was also a paint-shop's nightmare as it is traditionally a "soft" colour and can be very easily damaged. I can bear this out as I once offered to polish out a scratch on someone's expensive Jap sports car and polished a small area right down to the primer ... oops! I was used to the tough Vauxhall cellulose one-coat metallic on my own car, and took the black car's paint off with nothing more than ordinary T-cut and a hard bit of rubbing.

BJ

• 1 month later...

well i picked up the 79 cav saloon,in a pretty sorry state:(so swapped over the rear bumper,as mines was badly kinked.also swapped over the chrome windscreen trims aswell.looks like the bronze one will be broken for spares:(just needs to much work,and parts just done come easy for them.

beauty and the wreck,

200466_152112754853045_100001629648867_323495_7358273_n.jpg

208083_152112924853028_100001629648867_323496_3642240_n.jpg

ye it didnt look to bad in the pics when i bought it..needs,rear arches inner and outer,sills repaired at the back end,drivers door,drivers wing,quarter panels and rear panel repaired(badly damaged),boot lid damaged,and whole car has been scratched.

it is ashame for it,but parts just dont come up easy for them,so makes the job of fixing it hard:(

what parts are you after and where are you based?iv a friend who delivers cars all over the country,so he could deliver them to you.

OK, if you are up for it, I am particularly seeking the long "chrome" (anodised aluminium) trim from the roof gutters (needs a special/adapted tool to prise it off) plus the "hockey stick" trims front and rear (front under bumper, rear around the back lights), plus the plastic cappings from the front inner wings that go over the shocker screw threads. Just one would help, I could maybe get repros cast from it.

Could go on, got to think reasonable here and consider budget.

Based near Chester, just off M53.

BJ

PS I never say "no" to rim bellishers and wheeel centre caps if they are a decent price!

Edited by Brown Job