1973 A - Now On The Road

MickB

Hi,

Some of you may remember I bought this just over a year ago (the Manta A being my first car when I was 17 and always having a love of them) but had problems with the welding, which is all it failed its MOT on. Well I got all the welding done for £600 which I thought was a good price as I cannot do this myself, and it went through the MOT. I know this project is not quite as impressive as many of the total rebuilds on here, but I have enjoyed tinkering around with the engine and trying to bring it back to a certain originality and thought you may like to see some pics.

I have managed to change the Recaro seats (boy were they uncomfortable) that had been fitted and now have original ones with head rests too, I changed the dashboard fascia as the old one had been cut about and put back the orginal steering wheel as a very small racing wheel had been fitted. The bumpers had for some reason been sprayed black but I managed to get all this off and take them back to the metal, unfortunately they do need fully re-chroming to make them totally respectable. I have put all the badges back on as they had all been removed and genrally cleaned the car up inside and out.

Work still to be done is really cosmetic, I want to replace the wheels with the original Rostyle's, fix the centre piece of the dash that did hold the radio and gauges as this has been cut out, replace the yellow wing mirrors with chrome ones and generally repair all the rusty body work and then anything else that comes along, as i'm sure it will.

At least it now gets driven nearly every day, want to get my monies worth from the £112 for 6 months tax!

Manta010.jpg

Manta003.jpg

Manta004.jpg

Manta006.jpg

Manta005.jpg

Manta009.jpg

Manta011.jpg

Anyway thats about it, not sure too much more drastic will happen to it and I will continue to get the parts as when my pocket money allows me.

Many thanks for looking.

Mick B

Hi,

Some of you may remember I bought this just over a year ago (the Manta A being my first car when I was 17 and always having a love of them) but had problems with the welding, which is all it failed its MOT on. Well I got all the welding done for £600 which I thought was a good price as I cannot do this myself, and it went through the MOT. I know this project is not quite as impressive as many of the total rebuilds on here, but I have enjoyed tinkering around with the engine and trying to bring it back to a certain originality and thought you may like to see some pics.

I have managed to change the Recaro seats (boy were they uncomfortable) that had been fitted and now have original ones with head rests too, I changed the dashboard fascia as the old one had been cut about and put back the orginal steering wheel as a very small racing wheel had been fitted. The bumpers had for some reason been sprayed black but I managed to get all this off and take them back to the metal, unfortunately they do need fully re-chroming to make them totally respectable. I have put all the badges back on as they had all been removed and genrally cleaned the car up inside and out.

Work still to be done is really cosmetic, I want to replace the wheels with the original Rostyle's, fix the centre piece of the dash that did hold the radio and gauges as this has been cut out, replace the yellow wing mirrors with chrome ones and generally repair all the rusty body work and then anything else that comes along, as i'm sure it will.

At least it now gets driven nearly every day, want to get my monies worth from the £112 for 6 months tax!

Manta010.jpg

Manta003.jpg

Manta004.jpg

Manta006.jpg

Manta005.jpg

Manta009.jpg

Manta011.jpg

Anyway thats about it, not sure too much more drastic will happen to it and I will continue to get the parts as when my pocket money allows me.

Many thanks for looking.

Mick B

Looks great, and it's a great feeling knowing that the underside is all solid, you can carry on doing the top half in your own time, doing as you say " what the wallet allows :thumbup