Tatty Gt/e Hatch

• 4 weeks later...

The guy is just a complete W'/?er i mailed him again to ask why he had told me it had sold and he had relisted it under a diffrent account.He mailed me back say to come and get it 'he would love to meet me' ;) The car might be more solid than it looks tho he reckons hes done all the welding on it :rolleyes: Stil not worth £500 tho.

Right slight update .This bloke is just a tard.I mad him a genuine offer and was ready to haggle but all i've had is abuse and veiled threats.Hopfully he will end up stuck with it to be honest it was only because it was close that i was intrested.Tho if i get any more abuse or threats I think I had better go down and sort it with him face to face :thumbup> So unless anybody despratly needs this car I think he needs to be stuck with it until he realises how much its worth. :D

Let's all slag the GT/E hatch cause it's not a coupe! And has no bits for an XE conversion...

67,000 miles and 2 previous owners. Maybe it's had a poor paint job at some point in it's life which is why it's not looking so good now?. Maybe it IS good in all the right bits?? Mechanicaly it could be good. The interior looks better than the coupe that's for sale at 6k at some garage.(?)

I've got a hatch that looks similar and needs NO welding.......(structuraly)

I'm an old car enthuisiast and this one looks ok..... it's not hiding anything.....you see is what you get,warts an all!!

Could be good......ok could be not so good. Why not someone take a look.(I'm near E'burgh so not so close)

These cars are getting thin on the ground now, this could be a good project for someone.?

John.

Let's all slag the GT/E hatch cause it's not a coupe! And has no bits for an XE conversion

:lol::lol: Did have a laugh at that John, quite appreciate what your saying though.

However I do get the impression from reading this topic that people have genuinely contacted this person, and have made respectable offers. As far as being GOOD is concerned at the end of the day we all know what work is gonna be required on this, it will definately want some in the usual areas irrespective of how good or bad it looks on the outside.

Sounds as though this may be just a difficult person to deal with. :huh:

Let's all slag the GT/E hatch cause it's not a coupe! And has no bits for an XE conversion...

67,000 miles and 2 previous owners. Maybe it's had a poor paint job at some point in it's life which is why it's not looking so good now?. Maybe it IS good in all the right bits?? Mechanicaly it could be good. The interior looks better than the coupe that's for sale at 6k at some garage.(?)

I've got a hatch that looks similar and needs NO welding.......(structuraly)

I'm an old car enthuisiast and this one looks ok..... it's not hiding anything.....you see is what you get,warts an all!!

Could be good......ok could be not so good. Why not someone take a look.(I'm near E'burgh so not so close)

These cars are getting thin on the ground now, this could be a good project for someone.?

John.

Hi John

I'm with you on this one, I try to sit on the fence with most issues, yeh the car seems a bit dear but I bet its closer to road than a lot of other peoples cars. My 76 is a bit of a dog so what ! Its a cih not an xe so what, its even got a 4 speed box and tops out at 80 so what, its a Manta and as an owners club we should love them for what they are not what we think they should have been, I don't think Total Opel or any other club go out of their way to pull other folks and members cars to bits just cos its a hatch or its been chaved up , After going round the VBOA its more than apparent that most of the cars there were chavs but they love their cars and good on them who are we to judge, Im sure that when they came over to the Manta side of the field they though the same about ours, Each to there own, If we are not carefull we could end up like the Rover Club has. " Gone " ...... Me and my mate went to the VBOA and thought it was great,some of the cars there were unreal, we sat in the back ground at the AGM in the main tent and listened to what people were saying and were gobsmacked that membership was falling for this outstanding marque, I am now begining to understand why ..................................Nuff Said.

:lol::lol: Did have a laugh at that John, quite appreciate what your saying though.

However I do get the impression from reading this topic that people have genuinely contacted this person, and have made respectable offers. As far as being GOOD is concerned at the end of the day we all know what work is gonna be required on this, it will definately want some in the usual areas irrespective of how good or bad it looks on the outside.

Sounds as though this may be just a difficult person to deal with. :huh:

Without wanting to get into an argument here, how can people make offers on a car they've not even seen? This seems to be the modern way though with every phone call I've taken about a car for sale starting with "What's your best price" or "Will you take £x for it" with x usually being no more than half the price you're asking. This gets my back up straight away.

Hmm, I'll have to agree with the first few posts. In the very unlikely event this car is spotless underneath and the engine is like new, £700 for that is a joke and as most of the people who are commenting on this fact pointed out a while ago how terrible some ebay descriptions are. Not to mention clueless sellers, if you put a picture of some rust covered car with a crap description, full of spelling mistakes (no excuse on a modern PC) and comment like these go for a zillion quid in good nick to excuse overpricing, then you deserve every piss taking comment you get!

Will say one last thing on this.

Can't count how many times I've seen a car that "Doesn't need welding" or "All welding been done" only to find these comments to be WRONG

In fact I once had a GTE coupe that had a recent £4,000 resto on it and was possibly the worst Manta I'd ever owned.

I've seen over and over and over again cars that have been welded up, which when done by a person that will not be carrying their children in the car, and wanting to keep it for many years themselves, are never satisfactory repairs especially when car is intended to be sold.

In fact I know of one high profile concours winning car that had filler and fibreglass in the chassis rails, owner paid a lot of money to have a proper welded repair done.

And Yes 1900SR I would be a person that know's a car and have a good idea what to expect, so with that in mind I would like to have a good idea of bottom dollar before filling the Skyline up with expensive fuel to travel to view a car that could well be overpriced.

Difference being when I've sold a Manta, I've listed the work done and when selling my V8 I listed a couple of quick patches on chassis rails that will need attention in future, it is not hard to give a good honest description of what people need to know and it is not difficult to answer peoples questions honestly, unless of course you dug yourself into a hole in the first place by putting up a misleading description.

What a piece of shit :rolleyes:

I have a question for him...

"Did you go to school?"

Standard scroat manta, bought cheap, found out they are expensive to restore, fuc@ed it off <_<

How spot on is Kevin again (Thumbs)

for those shortsighted fools that have posted up defending "Just what a really quite jolly splendid car this is" then I was wondering how much would they really want to pay for this? Or even if they would pay anything for this??????

Manta 400 John

I'm an old car enthuisiast and this one looks ok.

Well tbh Mate i'm an old car enthusiast and this looks absolutely 5hite

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

what a funny thread

Normally pictures make a car look better than it is... :blink::lol:

If this turns out not to be a shed and a good buy for £700, I'll eat my stainless exhaust.

But like I said in my earlier post, would love to see it restored. :thumbup

Edited by Devil Fish

I'm an old car enthuisiast and this one looks ok

Manta 400 John

Well tbh Mate i'm an old car enthusiast and this looks absolutely 5hite

:lol:

Are you guys enthusiastic about old cars, or car enthusiasts who are old?

Tis jolly splendid what, the iron oxide is quite beroque, scoff scoff!

The price of a good quality manta these days has gone up a lot compared to 10 years back, but the rust buckets you could have bought for £100 then are worth £100 now! If anything it's some people thinking the knackers are worth a lot means they DONT get restored, we've all spent a fortune restoring a rough 'un, only an unlucky few spend a fortune on the 'before shot' car :D

It wasn't so much the condition of the car I was the blokes attitude I made him an offer ( ok without seeing it) only as a starting point to see what he said or to know weather it was worth going to see the car.To be honest after speaking to him I would say he has no idea on the real condition of it underneath.It does seem a shame for the car to be broken or scrapped but mite not be worth saving but at least would keep another few from the scrap.Okay i may of pushed his nose out of joint but there was no need for the threats of violence or just his genral attitde he could of just said he was hoping for a bit more or nearer X amount at which point i would of gone down for a look and could of at least reported on here a more accurate idea of how good or bad it is.Now to be honest i wouldnt take it if he offered it for free and if he had been like that with the wrong person he could of got himself a hiding.