Best Oil For G-Box And Axle

mantapaperman

what i can recall its full syn i got it at local v/hall garage told them it was for a getrag box and it wasnt any more expensive than a local motor factors coz once u change the oil it will do at least five years due to alot of manta owners not doing alot of miles!!

I use Castrol SMX-S (which is fully synth 75w/90) in the boxes and Castrol Driveline Syntrax in the diffs.

Although it should be noted; I have been told by a couple of club members that the red cherry smelling stuff from vauxhall should only be used in getrag boxes. I'm pretty certain it's an ATF with an additive as there's certainly nothing magical in it to make it special and besides the castrol SMS is the recommended gearbox oil for my chevy which has the same gearbox you'd find in a FWD redtop'd car which vauxhall dealers put the cherryade stuff into. I'm not suggesting you'd be this silly but I have known some to use it in modern boxes...DO NOT USE HYPOID!

Edited by Rick-Manta

As i was told a long time ago, you must only use the genuine GM oil in Getrag gearboxes, (the red 'cherryaid' stuff)

If you joined the club you can get it cheap, as the Manta Club is affiliated to the Vauxhall - Bedford - Opel association we all get stuff like this at trade price over the counter at Vauxhall dealers.