Manta Chassis Repairs

SCP

All the welding done it was time to clean up the underside I decided to sand blast it.

I had a long break due to the poor weather in 2012 as I needed the garage door open to let out clouds of dust( lots of it).

I sandblasted the underside sections at a time

SC7640.jpg

SC7652.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work :)

Show us the blaster you used, it looks like it worked really well

Hi Kevin work on manta is going ok but taking a bit longer than I hoped

Here is the blaster I used which needed two 3HP twin piston compressors to avoid stopping too often, I would recommend one with proper dead man valve rather than mine as the glass grit eats through valve an you get sore hand I have been through a few valves still on same hand lol

SC8047.jpg

Edited by SCP

Well done mate. Be good to see it back on the road. Happy New Year!

Will be a while before its back on the road Ben I got withdrawal from Manta driving now

Nothing better than getting that primer coat and seam sealer on, makes all that metal work worth while

Andy

Yep had enough of grinding metal an welding

• 6 months later...

Nice work, Good to see another manta owner near me in Devon. Thought I was alone haha

We used to be the South West Reps, and tried organising a few meets and events, but never really gathered much interest. James Sene in Newton Abbot took over from us, would be good to have some local meets if there's a few more mantas back on the road in Devon and South West area, maybe next summer eh Simon? :D

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

While Manta is away at bodyshop for some paint work I have cleaned up and painted rear axle/suspension and other rear under car parts, front suspension next hopefully all the parts will be ready to bolt back on when car body gets back

SC8689.jpg

SC8693.jpg

SC8703.jpg

SC8726.jpg

SC8696.jpg

SC8708.jpg

SC8717.jpg

SC8751.jpg

Edited by SCP
  • Like 1

On to my sills with rust bulges now ,I cut out rusty double skin area above rear jacking points then a bit larger area to make sure all rust was gone, in between the two skins was well rotten though most of sill is in very good condition SC6285.jpgSC6283.jpgthen cleaned up the surrounding area welded in a new piece to join inner part to lower middle so I dont have a double skin at the bottom as this had caused my rust problems in the sill, then paintedSC6290.jpgSC6261.jpg from a new sill panel cut out the section needed adjusted it with a hammer and drilled holes ready for welding, applied weld through primer SC6294.jpgwelded it on

ground off high spots and primed

SC6298.jpg

Great job I'm at that stage now wit the swan necks what weld tro primer did u use and is it brush-on are aerosol .

• 1 month later...

Now onto front suspension axle sand blast Epoxy primer then black etc

SC8889.jpg

SC8894.jpg

SC8909.jpg

SC8926.jpg

should be getting back my shell from bodyshop soon then I can get this lot off the garage floor my spraying is ok for underside but have left the top to professional's

SC8935.jpg

Edited by SCP
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

A  little more progress  rear end underside components fitted axle , suspension, fuel an brake lines fuel tank

then I thought I better do something that's not under car so fitted rear lights an bumper if you look from back it looks almost like a complete car lol

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

I spent over a day fitting back my roof lining bit of fiddle to get right, then some easier bits sunroof all windows upper dash ,speedo an wiring 

Edited by SCP
  • Like 5