Manta 400 3Lt 24V

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering. What does SORN mean?

Statutory Off Road Notice, a declaration you have to make. All cars should be SORN or Taxed, so if you can't tax it you should have a SORN.

Timing affects this, cars not taxed when it came in don't seem to be affected.

It's on every renewal you get posted for your daily drive

so am i right in thinking that this car should be white then? so why is the engine bay red! think this car might be best used as a show car rather then a useable minter.

Majority colour is required on the log book

Statutory Off Road Notice, a declaration you have to make. All cars should be SORN or Taxed, so if you can't tax it you should have a SORN.

Timing affects this, cars not taxed when it came in don't seem to be affected.

It's on every renewal you get posted for your daily drive

Majority colour is required on the log book

Now I understand, on the Isle of Man we don't have such a thing . I was wondering why I hadn't heard of it before. Over here if it's not tax after 2 years it has to go through its test again and you don't need to tell the Manx version of the DVLA that its not on the road.

so am i right in thinking that this car should be white then? so why is the engine bay red! think this car might be best used as a show car rather then a useable minter.

If it is Mick's old car it was orginally red, I guess whoever sprayed it white didn't bother with the engine bay but did tell the DVLA of the colour change.

VDevil, first would ask if any Scottish members live near said Manta and if pos arrange to see for you,would never never ever buy a manta just of piccy`s no matter how well wrote up about.

Cost owe running and petrol prices noo awedays wid be big factor anawe for yon lump under thi bunnet.

Same old story if got the cash/aford to buy/ resto and the time, only you can decide. Nae sun roof / inner wings rid on awe white low mileage F regi,sills done,? whars thi old original mortor ? whits interior like should be like brand new as covered nae miles plenty ????? gangin bi piccy`s wid ask if thi wan to left wiz fur sale :thumbup

cheers rab.

Edited by Rab

i remember this car it was advertised on e-bay,was white with chq roof and horrid wheels and mingin spot lights,then it was adv on this site minus the chq roof and spots,it had the sunroof filled ova that was in the middle part of 2008,then the guy sold it i remember it cos i didnt hit it off wi the then owner?

strange how you remember these things init

steve :thumbup

i remember this car it was advertised on e-bay,was white with chq roof and horrid wheels and mingin spot lights,then it was adv on this site minus the chq roof and spots,it had the sunroof filled ova that was in the middle part of 2008,then the guy sold it i remember it cos i didnt hit it off wi the then owner?

strange how you remember these things init

steve :thumbup

In that case it is Mick's old car, so was originally red. I'm sure Mick will be able to fill everyone in on the condition of he car when he had it, I seem to remember despite it's low miles it was tatty, although it may have just been faded paint.

Cheers for the input lads :thumbup

And spot on Rab, i'd never buy a car without going to see it and give it a good going over. It's always good to try and get a 'rough idea' from pics, and more so to get any info from fellow forum members, so thumbs up to you lads for knowing a little about the car B) And hence i'm not going to look at it.

Frustrating as i have some cash on one side for a manta...In fact the cash has probably been moth eaten i've been looking for that long lol. The gold coupe on pistonheads would do me nicely...if it was red!

As this is turning into a bit of a discussion about finding a 400 i'll add my 2p's worth.

Finding a 16v 400 coupe in red may well take you many years (infact haven't you been looking for a couple of years so far :( )

So my thinking would be,

If you're going to put the 16v gear in that you already have then that can de discounted from the wanted list

But a 400 coupe with the standard 1.8 or GT/e engine in red (or any colour) is still rare.

Then when they do come up its wondering if they are actually any good/ solid and how well the kit has been fitted

Also most people doing a 400 kitted car will stick a big engine in there (like the 3.0 24v) which would mean work thats been done might need reversing

So maybe just a coupe thats solid and fit a 400 kit and wide wheels and your 16v setup

Ideally in red so even if you need to paint the 400 kit the door jams/ interiour etc are already the right colour.

Saying that if you're painting the kit thats bonnet/ wings/ front spoiler/ sideskirts/ rear arches (prob full 1/4 panels), boot lid and rear bumper, and quad surrounds

So not much of the car that isn't going to be painted really

Obviously the more you have to do yourself the less the original car needs to be.

So wheels and kit would be something like £2500 plus paintwork at whatever they're charging for that nowadays say £2000 ? ? ?

so thats £4500 on top of getting the car and fitting the engine yourself

If you buy a MOT'd and taxed soild coupe you might get one for less than £2000 but it would have issues for that price

Saying that if the issue is the engine/ paintwork/ or panels your going to change for the 400 kit then that works for you

Obviously you'll have a load of work to do to bolt the thing together and that has to be factored in aswell.

There are some people who have been doing projects like this for years now and still aren't near getting the car of the road.

But the car will be 100% exactly what they want and done to a standard they're happy with

Anyway none of thats really helpful in you finding a 400 but i thought i'd put it out there :thumbup

Oh and if you decide you want a non sunroof coupe rolling shell to start with i may knwo where there is one :rolleyes:

Appreciate your thoughts mate :thumbup

I've broadened my search quite a bit really, id be more than happy with a bog standard and tidy red gte coupe (non exclusive) that I can just use straight away and keep on top of now.

OR if there was a 400R that was well built (Ideally red but not imperative) then i'd be interested in that too.

So if anyone does know of a red gte coupe that's for sale, please do let me know. I just want a manta now whether it be a standard gte coupe or 400r :(

Edit: For example, this would be perfect if it was red > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2320094.htm

Edited by Volksdevil

I'd agree with what Mantasrme says.

It sounds like you would be better building your ideal Manta rather than waiting for it to come up for sale.

I know it's not red, not a GTE and an automatic but have you seen the tidy Brown Manta B coupe that Drew is selling in the classified ads? This car is only a grand with full MOT and looks very solid . I'd say you would have to pay a hell of a lot more than that for a late GTE coupe and then would have all the rust and previous owners hidden repairs to sort out . This coupe also has no sunroof (ideal for your 400 replica) You might even pick up a rough later car for a few hundred quid to transplant its interior , wiring loom , injection fuel tank , 5 speed tunnel and mounts etc. I'm sure you will have heard before that earlier Mantas don't seem to rust like the later ones and if you are wanting to build your new Manta you could do with starting with a really good shell. With this car being MOT'd still you could even run it about while you collect the rest of your bits.......

However maybe Manta B's are not your thing, I just saw Drew's advert and thought this would be an ideal project car . I'd leave the Brown paint and auto badges, put a Red top in it , lower it on some nice wheels and go out upsetting all the Impreza boys!

Luke

Well cheers for the optimism Colin/Rab... :blink::lol::thumbup

Seems that red gte coupes are pretty damn hard to come by.

Aye yull find wan,probs when yur least expecting it anawe like mi ain motor.If awe hear of oni up this neck owe thi woods will gee yae awe shout.

cheers rab.

Cheers Rab, that'd be much appreciated. I'f i'm going for a non 400R it definately has to be a red gte coupe...Although the brown auto looks good, it's just not what i'm looking for.

Even a slightly tatty but useable red coupe would do me :thumbup

Colin...Sod off <_<:lol: Best of luck with your project :thumbup

Even a slightly tatty but useable red coupe would do me :thumbup

does it have to be non sunroof,theres a red exclusive in good condition that maybe still

for sale ,if your intrested i can see if he still has it

i didnt want to look at it cause it was red :lol:

Bloody hell Steve...Looks absolutely awesome mate. B) I don't know how you can post so few pictures of it, I have thousands of the Corrado, and if I owned that...Well, i'd probably go through camera's like mad :lol: Superb looking motor!

Gary, any more details? Obviously I want the best condition I can find really, as I have scaled it down from searching for a 400R to a gte coupe in red now. I have the cash for the right car! :thumbup