Red Opel Manta Wanted - Any Year After '82

msymonds77

Hi, i'm looking for a Red Opel Manta from 1982 onwards. I need one in pretty good condition, minimal rust probs and def no welding needed, not fussed about how many owners as long as they have been kind

I'd prefer it with at least 6 months MOT, and if any tax on it then all good. I am based in London but will travel for the right car.

I don't really have a budget as it depends on the condition and model but don't take that as me being made of cash. Reason for buying is my family used to rally them back in the day and i've been looking for the right one for a while now but no joy so far........ so if there is anyone selling please get in touch.

thanks

Melanie

welcome this is defo the place to find what your looking for!!

what type are u after coupe or hatch?

good luck with the hunt!!!

thanks! don't mind either, more bothered about condition as i need to be able to use it straight away, i'm looking at one...83 coupe but its got a bit of rust round the sun roof which is making me a bit wary.......any thoughts welcome

Rusty sunroofs are very common and are not easy to fix properly.

The sunroof tray has a foam strip between it and the roof panel, over the years this absorbs moisture and water from the sunroof tray

This then slowly starts to rust the under side of the roof and eat its way through to the outside.

By the time you see it the rust is very well established and can't just be rubbed down and treated from the outside

stripped a rusty manta hatch last month and while there were only 2 small spots just starting to show on the roof

This is what it looked like inside when i chopped the panel off

rusty-roof-inside.jpg

The outer thick line is where the foam was around the tray

If you remove the roof lining you could go around most of the tray and scrape away the foam and treat the metal

But once its popped through on the outside you'll really need to weld a patch in.

Of course then it wants paintng, and to fit a new roof lining all the glass needs removing and the rubber trims around :(

The way i see it with that amount of work you might aswell remove the sunroof completely and plate the hole

That way you know it'll never be a problem again

e203-stage%20(16).jpg

A cheaper and really easy way is to fit a glass sunroof! however If your rallying etc you'd be better going with mantasrme's idea :thumbup

I fitted one afew years back! cost: £4 for a fine metal cutting jig-saw blade and a glass sunroof for a £10 spot from the scrap-yard :D and a good day's work ;)

Edited by keith1200

Rusty sunroofs are very common and are not easy to fix properly.

The sunroof tray has a foam strip between it and the roof panel, over the years this absorbs moisture and water from the sunroof tray

This then slowly starts to rust the under side of the roof and eat its way through to the outside.

By the time you see it the rust is very well established and can't just be rubbed down and treated from the outside

stripped a rusty manta hatch last month and while there were only 2 small spots just starting to show on the roof

This is what it looked like inside when i chopped the panel off

rusty-roof-inside.jpg

The outer thick line is where the foam was around the tray

If you remove the roof lining you could go around most of the tray and scrape away the foam and treat the metal

But once its popped through on the outside you'll really need to weld a patch in.

Of course then it wants paintng, and to fit a new roof lining all the glass needs removing and the rubber trims around :(

The way i see it with that amount of work you might aswell remove the sunroof completely and plate the hole

That way you know it'll never be a problem again

e203-stage%20(16).jpg

yikes! thanks for the advice.....m

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I nearly went to see this as it looked superb on paper,(was in Southend on sea) and the guy was a genuine enthusiast who certainly knew his Manta's. I think from memory it had a few rust bubbles just starting aound the sunroof and a couple of things to make mint.