A Series Plus Gte Engine.

johnboy

Has anyone fitted a GTe engine and box into an A series manta, i know the tank will need modding as will the prop and a few other bits, but will the injection manifold clear the servo and master cylinder?? any other reasons why it might not fit, was goinig to do the redtop or maybe an ecotec but would like to try and keep standardish look under the bonnet, ie cih, but with a bit more poke and driveability, five speed would be nice too, any ideas/suggestions, cheers John

Hi there. My A-series has LE jetronic on it, I didn't do the conversion, but they've moved the

standard reservoir off the master cylinder, and onto the inner wing. A bit of research revealed

that the reservoir they've used is off a jaguar...this type...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-BRAKE-FLUID-RESERVOIR-CAC4578-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5642847cecQQitemZ370483166444QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

With the injection you'll also need an injection thermostat housing, to accomodate the coolant temp

sensor, thermotime switch, Aux air valve etc. etc.

Ok it depends what you wanna do, this has been covered several times on here

I've fitted a GTE to my A series but kept the 4 speed box because time pressed to have the car on the road at the time and didn't have the luxury of spare cash for further mods

you can run the GTE engine on a webber carb without modding much else (i presume your engine will come with ancillaries) - we paired mine with the 4 speed because otherwise you'll need to have the floor modified slightly and have the propshaft shortened professionally

kept the original petrol tank but fitted electronic petrol pump and electronic ignition (and ditched the A series coil for the GTE one). Also changed the radiator as the GTE was slightly bigger than my original 1.6L.

If you want to fit the injection system then search on the forum as it would be more complicated than a straightforward swap

Thomas

The engine is a direct fit, nothing needs to be covered, the manifold will have plenty of space etc. The problem is with the 5 speed gearbox, and as you yourself has mentioned the gas tank.

This however is not a problem as the A has a original overflow thing at the tube for filling in gas, so you should be able to connect the fuel return to this.

It is however alot of work to fit a EFI to this car, i would recommend a set of twin 40´s on the E engine this will aproximatly give you 120hp and a real old school look to fit with the car (not to mention the wonderfull sound they make).

As i said the biggest issue is with the 5 speed box. You need to change the floor, you need to manufactur a new gearbox strut, and you need to get a new prop shaft made from the old one (as it should be shorter with 5 gears). However a propshaft from either Ascona B or Manta B with Automatic transmission is a direct fit on a Manta A with 5 speed (funny how that works) but they can be somewhat hard to come by.

I would recommend keeping the 4 speed, those things never breake, and if they by chance should go the lala they are very easy and cheap to replace. If you want more top speed, or more economic fuel usage you could look into getting the rear axle gearing changed from the original 3,67 to a 3,44 or maybe even a 3,11.

Good luck with the project thumbsup.gif

As i said the biggest issue is with the 5 speed box. You need to change the floor, you need to manufactur a new gearbox strut

No need to change the floor, you can shorten the linkage on the box so that the gear stick fits the original tunnel hole.

By Gearbox strut do you meen the rear mounting, if so then use the 4 speed cross brase and a piece of 3mm sheet to make an adapter bracket to conect the cross brase to the gear box.

1234GB.jpg

However a propshaft from either Ascona B or Manta B with Automatic transmission is a direct fit on a Manta A with 5 speed (funny how that works) but they can be somewhat hard to come by.

Manta A auto prop will also fit. It does not cost too much to have your 4 speed prop shortened about £80.

It is however alot of work to fit a EFI to this car

Not that much work, there are only 4 wires you need to conect from the inj. loom to the car loom (small black plug in middle of the bulkhead) You may need to change the water pump, as if I remember corectly the viscus fan needs to be changed to the static one. It is over 15 years since I did this convertion to my A, and I may have forgoten some bits but it is not a big job as I remember it.

No need to change the floor, you can shorten the linkage on the box so that the gear stick fits the original tunnel hole.

By Gearbox strut do you meen the rear mounting, if so then use the 4 speed cross brase and a piece of 3mm sheet to make an adapter bracket to conect the cross brase to the gear box.

1234GB.jpg

Manta A auto prop will also fit. It does not cost too much to have your 4 speed prop shortened about £80.

Not that much work, there are only 4 wires you need to conect from the inj. loom to the car loom (small black plug in middle of the bulkhead) You may need to change the water pump, as if I remember corectly the viscus fan needs to be changed to the static one. It is over 15 years since I did this convertion to my A, and I may have forgoten some bits but it is not a big job as I remember it.

Yes excactly (my technical english isnt that good dry.gif)

But regarding the conversion to fuel injection it IS a big job. Not so much the wirering, but you need to fit fuel lines, and that is a bi***.. Also you need to mount pump and filter on some custom made device and you need to wire that thing up as well, last but not least you need to get the entire engine room fitted with the new wires, and need to make hole in the firewall for the connector to the ECU.

It isnt impossible to do this, but it is a lot of work. I would still recommend the twin 40´s webers or dellorto´s, will get you an extra 8-10 hp and make the car sound incredible with only half the work cool.gif

So just to confirm the critical question - does the GTE inlet manifold clear the bonnet and servo/master cylinder without mods??

Yes it does, you must remember the GT/E models (1973-75) are made from factory with the same inlet manifold.

Anyways, im from Denmark so my master cylinder is in the other side of the car so i dont know if this will be a problem. It WILL clear the bonnet however.

Hi again, thanks for all the input, don't really consider fitting the fuel pipes or the wiring or the pump assembly as hard really, modding the gear linkage won't be a problem either, just wanted to know if the injection manifold clears the brake master cylinder and servo as i don't really want to be moving them, i know they where fitted to left hand drive cars but not seen a right hand drive with a gte engine in, anything is possible i know, any one know for sure or got any pictures for reference, cheers

any one know for sure or got any pictures for reference, cheers

It's not a problem. There's a certain A-series in this neck o'the woods on GT/E injection. Manifold clears the master cyl. and reservoir. No pictures as the car's still tucked away.........unless Rab's got pictures? :rolleyes:

John.