The A Comes To Life!

Manta again

• 1 month later...

For the first time in 10 years the car is now insured again and awaiting her MOT tomorrow before heading up to the NEC. I have yet to see the completed car only the pictures that are on this thread.

I'm very excited to see her I have a mental picture in my mind after having spent time picking things like wheels etc and discussing with Simon what parts should stay chrome or be changed, we have gone over budget but I just know on Thursday it will all be worth it.

• Like 3

Excellent Richard, 10 years is quite some time!

Hi Paul, yeah took it off the road when my daughter was born due to the lack of rear seat belts and the Mrs wanted something more practical for moving all the baby gear around.

Is it going to be on show at the OMOC stand this weekend ?

If so i'll be looking out for it on Sunday

Love the colour

If everything goes to plan, fingers crossed it will be on the OMOC stand look forward to seeing you there.

• 2 weeks later...

So i have her home again after being away at Simons for a while and 10 years since she was last on the road.

The car is by no means finished there is the seats to sort out so if anyone has a pair of Recaro's that i can re trim that would be great. Also the idle control valve is playing up so I mhave one on order to try and sort out the poor idle and stalling every time you pull up. Simon would have sorted it but ran out of time and I just wanted to bring the car home after the show. Also need to decide about wing mirrors, will probably go for the Engelman's I have in the garage but i just can't bring myself to drill holes in the doors. :wacko:

Here are some pics taken at the NEC.

IMAG0072_zpsu4lyv85p.jpg

IMAG0070_zps5wf3p6pk.jpg

IMAG0069_zpsim88hike.jpg

IMAG0068_zpspebepiuz.jpg

IMAG0067_zpso2lbkqas.jpg

IMAG0066_zpscvt9oyet.jpg

IMAG0065_zpskchdqpwe.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As the roads are dry, I decided to take her out on her maiden voyage since returning home from the NEC. I was going to try and change the idle control valve but she seemed to be running fine so off I went.

Conclusions: Although she didn't stall once will still change valve, do I really have to remove the inlet manifold or is just best to reomve the alternator and water pipes? Don't want to start one route only to find I should of gone the other way.

The engine bobbins are much harder than the original mounts so there is a bit more NVH than I remember.

Got figure out the clutch pedal so much travel, but probably something to do with not being able to use an A series clutch cable.

But overall a really great drive, just need to keep building up my confidence in her.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Right time to write a list of things that need sorting after having done a few more shake down miles.

Fit pulley cover to the front of engine, requires modding to fit around the distributor drive.

Bleed the brakes.

Seems to be a dead short on the oil pressure gauge, reads max as soon as the electric is switched on even before motor is cranked.

Create a bulkhead between the boot and the rear of the seats.

Paint the inside of the boot

Make new kick plates for the front foot wells.

Get custom spark leads made so that they can run properly in the cam cover.

Replace cam cover with the nice black powder coated one I have.

Fit a stereo and speakers and aerial.

Find some new front seats and get all the seats re-trimmed.

Well that should keep me busy. lol

Edited by Manta again
  • Like 1

Ok one job that had to be done today, fitting of wing mirrors. After all my shake down driving it became quite apparent that on dual carriageway it was tricky trying to pull out with confidence.

I have had a set of Englemens for I don't know how long. These are now fitted using both a 3M double sided black foam adhesive but then I had to build up enough courage to drill into the door skin and secure them wih some self tappers.

The Engelmens were not my first choice but I couldn't find anything that I liked better.

• 3 weeks later...

More time spent on her this weekend but the list seems to be getting longer rather than things being crossed off.

So cleaned out the boot only to discover that I have a small rust issue in 2 spots but decided to tackle these over the winter rather than take the car off the road now and loose out on the fun over the summer.

Also there is a leak from the rear diff not sure if its the diff cover or from the torque tube end, currently monitoring it to see which.

Started on stripping down the timing cover ready for paint and trimming to fit around the distributor drive.

When the car was resprayed in 2000 there were a lot of little specks of paint on the door cards and dash board, spent a long time cleaning them down with acetone and then re detailing them with cleaner, so at long last a clean inside.

Aerial fitted just to fill the hole in the rear quarter.

• 3 months later...

It appears that every time I go out for a drive she likes to remind me that im driving a 40 year old car. Todays little episode was the rubber fitting going onto the powercap came off twice and always at a roundabout. A simple fix each time just really awkward stopping on a roundabout.

would it be better to fit a pipe like this so you can put a bracket on the air filter to give it some support

billin4_zpsaea525fd.jpg

Thanks Gary, I forgot to mention that I have fitted a pipe that puts the air filter behind the lights which is now supported on a bracket, so not sure why it came off.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MOT passed, only 1233 miles covered last year. Must try harder to get a few more covered this year.

On 3/15/2016 at 9:26 PM, Paul Barrett said:

Hi Richard, 

what manifols did you use?

my new A is almost it's twin brother!

Paul I thought I had answered this but maybe not. The manifolds are all the standard ones from the fwd setup other than the fact the pipes on the exhaust have been  cut and adjusted to fit the new orientation. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...