Timing Chain/ Cam Belt 1983 1.8 Petrol

discodas

Hi Guys,

Need to change the timing belt on this 1.8 1983 GT/J. And where is the best place to get a genuine or very good after market one??

Do I need a belt with 45 teeth -

OPEL MANTA B CC (53_, 55_) 1.8 S 90 hp, 1796 cc

07/1982 - 08/1987

GENERAL MOTORS : 90128169

OPEL : 090128169

OPEL : 1211700

OPEL : 90128169

VAUXHALL : 90128169

or

OPEL MANTA B CC (53_, 55_) 1.8 S 90 hp, 1796 cc

07/1982 - 08/1987 Width [mm]20Number of Teeth111

OPEL : 636359

OPEL : 636363

OPEL : 636370

OPEL : 636560

OPEL : 636565

OPEL : 90122429

OPEL : 90234902

OPEL : 90325578

OPEL : 90353211

OPEL : 90409900

OPEL : 90410014

VAUXHALL : 90234902

VAUXHALL : 90325578

VAUXHALL : 90409900

VAUXHALL : 90410014

Is it essensial I change the water pump?

Kind Regards

Darryl

No you do not need a new water pump unless it is defective.

However, a new belt puts more strain on the old pump so some may fail because of this leading to at best a leak and at worst timing jumping teeth and possible bent valves (though some types of engines don't bend the valves)

If paying someone to do the job the water pump is frequently replaced as garages make money marking up the pump too and as the job is 90% the same regardless it's a lot more economical than doing it separately.

Oh and I changed the belt on a 2.0 Ecotec Vectra without the pump and ran it for 9 months until MOT was up trouble free so I put my money where my mouth is when it is my own money lol

You pays your money and makes your own choice...........

Thanks,

As these pumps are not that expensive I might take one along to garage just in case and ask them to put it on!!

Are there any motor factors out their that will supply OE belts or as good as?

Did think about doing it my self but not sure how to lock the cams??????

Has any one out there done it DIY?

D

Timing belt is 111 teeth.

Distributor drive belt from Cam sprocket is 45 teeth.

Job is pretty straightforward.

Remove timing cover.

Set timing marks at TDC.

Slacken off and remove the Dizzy belt.

Slacken off the 3 water pump bolts.

Get a water pump spanner.

Rotate water pump until belt becomes slack.

Remove the bolts holding crank pulley onto it's sprocket.

Remove belt.

Fit new one and do the reverse of what is listed above.

Belt tension "Roughly" should be that you can just rotate the longest run of the belt through 90 degrees.

Would rather have done this today instead of replacing the water pump on my 1.2 Corsa :(

Pretty much as opel2000 says, i've done dozens of these over the years on cavaliers and astras but basically the same block, if it where my money i would be putting a pump on as well, the other problem you will (or may) encounter is that there will be a lot of corrosion around the pump body where it sits in the block (alloy pump housing, cast block) when you slacken off the three bolts holding the pump in it may be really tight to turn, when it does eventually turn chances are the rubber o ring that seals the pump to the block will tear and you won't know about it until you finish the job and start it up and the antifreeze starts to drip out of the belt cover at the bottom (thats when you'll be pi55ed off and wish you had done the pump) or at the very least remove the pump, clean it and fit a new o ring or if it looks ok grease it so it turns easy, check the hole in the block where the pumps goes for corrosion and clean that out as well, dead easy to do this job if you enjoy spannering, timing marks will be obvious when you strip it, highlight them with some paint for when you rebuild it, :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Yes mate thats the one--- BUT---there are two sizes of water pump, the 46mm that you've posted, and a 41mm as well, you'll have to measure the pump, cheap enough on e-bay, just type in vauxhall water pump spanner.

Edited by johnboy

Thanks Johnboy, might buy 46 and 41 as not sure how big the old one is.

Bought neew pump that 46mm

Should be giving it a go this week fingers crossed lol

Could be fun

Need to bleed and change brake fluid on wifes golf as well, not sure which one I preferr??

Thanks,

As these pumps are not that expensive I might take one along to garage just in case and ask them to put it on!!

Are there any motor factors out their that will supply OE belts or as good as?

Did think about doing it my self but not sure how to lock the cams??????

Has any one out there done it DIY?

D

Hi Darryl,as regards to a good belt,either use GATES or QUINTON HAZEL (GATES make the QH belts!) After reading your other comments,i would echo some of the other guys and always change the water pump,and yes,whilst you've got it in bits,change the other belt/belts also.If you struggle to get hold of the belts,just drop me an email,i should be able to sort you out,cheers and good luck with the job :thumbup

Don't really need to take rad out, but it only takes a few minutes to remove and will give you a lot more room to work especially if the old pump is corroded in, you dont want to damage the rad plus while its out you can backflush it with a hose if needed. Are you located over the hill in Ruthin and if so are you going to st.asaph?

Hi Johnboy, we are over the hill in rhuddlan, and will be at St Asaph :thumbup

We are about to commence operation CamBelt mission, will report back to command centre when mission is complete lol :lol:

Thank you for yous help guy's

Disco

Well that was fun?

Replaced belts and water pump, slight hick up when I noticed the crank pully timing mark was out??:(

Then remembered I tried to turn it to allow the cam belt to fit!! Phew :D then put it right and all white bits matched.

The only slight thing the new water pump seems a little noisy but hope fully it will just be bedding in???:(

Well all the above was truly spot on thank you. It started as well!!

Hope to see some of you in Trefnant St Asaph car show :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

If there is a whistling/whiring noise it might be because the belt is too tight,they make that kind of noise when they are too tight.

On the longest run of the belt you should just be able to turn the belt through 90 degrees between your thum and finger, that should be about the right tension on the belt.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is a whistling/whiring noise it might be because the belt is too tight,they make that kind of noise when they are too tight.

On the longest run of the belt you should just be able to turn the belt through 90 degrees between your thum and finger, that should be about the right tension on the belt.

Thanks guy's have reajusted WP and the funny noise has stopped, funny really as it only took a small amount and magic:)).

I must say that removing the Rad is well worth the effort made life so much easier:))

Edited by discodas