Astra Mk3 Gsi Calipers?

nova-baz

hi i have a mk1 cavalier 1979 gls 2000 and im fitting bigger brakes! i have had a look a some old posts about brakes and i have got some audi 80 discs but am unsure what calipers! is it right that astra mk3 gsi will fit with no mods? cheers

hi i have a mk1 cavalier 1979 gls 2000 and im fitting bigger brakes! i have had a look a some old posts about brakes and i have got some audi 80 discs but am unsure what calipers! is it right that astra mk3 gsi will fit with no mods? cheers

If they the same as the v6 vectra calipers they should fit I think. I bought a set of carlton 2.2 discs but later found they too small 256mm

Then got told to buy the Audi discs which are 280mm to fit my vectra v6 calipers. I bought the Audi discs off a guy who did the opposite to me

He said his Audi discs were too big for his vectra standard calipers

Not fitted these yet but have both sets of discs to bung on if 1 is wrong

1 person says this, another says that :huh:

The audi discs that we all talk about that have the right offset for the manta are the 256mm version

You combine these with the vauxhall ATE calipers that were designed to run on 256mm dscs and you have the ideal matching set.

They also fit under the standard GT/e 14" rims and don't upset the ballance of the brakes

The problem with saying what model of car the calipers can be found on is that vauxhall fitted various size brakes to their cars over the years.

Mk2 Astra GT/e 16v's all had 256mm brakes so were a safe bet to get the calipers from.

But they are getting old now and you may find a previous owner has changed the brakes to something bigger (or smaller!)

Best way to be sure is find someone selling discs and calipers and get them to measure the discs, you want the calipers from a 256x24mm disc

Or go to your local breakers yard with a tape measure and go check the vauxhall front ends until you find a 256mm disc

They have been fitted to astra cavalier vectra calibra omega models over the years so you should find some in good condition

The old style ATE calipers came with 236mm 256mm 284mm 288mm 294mm and 308mm discs on vauxhall models over the years so there is a wide scope of calipers that will all fit the manta

However finding discs that fit without the need for expensive spacers was always the issue.

The audi discs come in 256mm and 280mm versions, not sure if anyone has used a 280 audi disc with the 284mm ATE caliper so can't comment if there is an overhang of the pad.

But personally i wouldn't bother as there is a disc of 283mm that also has the correct offset out there, that being the front disc from a sierra cosworth RWD

It just needs the centre bore machining open a little and 4 new mounting holes drilling at 92mm pcd to mount to the manta hub.

But it will require at least 15" rims and will mess the brake ballance around giving too much front braking, so you'll be locking the front end regularly.

So i would only run them if you're going to change the rear brakes aswell and maybe have some bias valve adjustment to even things out.

Just to confuse matters a lttle more i did have a look recently and the newer astra/zafira's seem to come with 280mm calipers on some models, so they may combine well with the 280mm audi disc.

But again haven't done this yet so can't really comment

• Like 1

Hi there, i have a '73 a series manta, i used the 256mm audi vented disc, centre hole opened up a bit and four holes drilled to mount to the hub, used the front calipers off a mk5 astra that had 256mm vented discs. Not sure on your cav set up but had to put the n/s caliper on the o/s and o/s to n/s as the astra runs them in front of axle and the manta runs them behind axle so swapped them around to get the bleed nipple to the top, (obvious really when you do it), only hassle i had was i had to get goodrich hoses made up to fit :thumbup

What model of audi are disc from?

I found some data here I think the seccond one are but I am not so shure

Audi disc

Model: Audi 80 (8C,B4) 2.0 , 90hp ,1984 cc

From 09/1991 to 12/1994

Diameter: 256mm

Brake Disc Thickness:22mm

Height: 56.5

In some old post about brake upgrade somebody wrote that the offset should be 56.5mm, the height was not mentioned there,

is there some mistake?

Offset and height are not the same thing .mellow.gif

Audi 80 2.0e '90-'92 ,256mm vented. QH part number BDC3767 :thumbup. Just double checked the calipers where off a mark4 astra 1.8 16V and pads had a halfords number HBP318.

Edited by johnboy

Offset and height are not the same thing .mellow.gif

In this instance height and offset ARE the same :thumbup

Height is measured when the disc is lying flat on a table, and is the distance from the mounting face to the back of the braking surface.

Offset is the measurement from the back of the hub to the rear of the braking surface when the disc is fitted to the car.

Around 56mm is the magic number for a disc to fit correctly to a Manta