P Reg Cav Coupe Going Banger Racing!

See this link.

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/27412-cav-coupe-1976-l200/

Car was offered on here for £200.00 by the person who had brough it. And I noted in this listing that at least one person expressed an interest. This is sad that such an early Mk1 Cavalier Coupe is going to be banger raced.

On the subject of that is it realy wise for a car club like the Manta Club to publicise that car that could have sold to a member on site has now gone to be banger raced in the public section of the site. It migh be more suited to the members section. (Note: I know the advert is on Retro Rides but even so). What messages is that sending out to prospective members?

Edited by KevinBricknall

"On the subject of that is it realy wise for a car club like the Manta Club to publicise that car that could have sold to a member on site has now gone to be banger raced. (Note: I know the advert is on Retro Rides but even so). What messages is that sending out to prospective members?"

Not sure what you getting at here,I only posted it up as i know the banger boys don't hang around once they get hold of a car.i know a few,and most of them only race a car that is well past it as i believe this one is.

i also know they don't hang on to bits for any time at all,hence the post.

if anything can be used to keep other cars on the road then i don't see the problem !?!.

This one was advertised on RR same time as on here,and ended up with 2/3 people all thinking they had bought it.maybe thats where some confusion has arisen.

Andy

"On the subject of that is it realy wise for a car club like the Manta Club to publicise that car that could have sold to a member on site has now gone to be banger raced. (Note: I know the advert is on Retro Rides but even so). What messages is that sending out to prospective members?"

Not sure what you getting at here,I only posted it up as i know the banger boys don't hang around once they get hold of a car.i know a few,and most of them only race a car that is well past it as i believe this one is.

i also know they don't hang on to bits for any time at all,hence the post.

if anything can be used to keep other cars on the road then i don't see the problem !?!.

This one was advertised on RR same time as on here,and ended up with 2/3 people all thinking they had bought it.maybe thats where some confusion has arisen.

Andy

Sorry Andy probable was not very clear with my post. I was not having a go at you but your right there has some confusion about who brought this car as I understood it was in Essex and being retored. If some bits from this can go and help another car then great.

Cor, be a brave man to sit in that going round a banger track, first crack from another car & it will be a pile of rust for the marshalls to sweep up. :blink:

I've seen many a shed take to the track for 5 minutes of glory, those two litre grannys kill all. :o

who cares if it goes to the track.... it got offered a few times at stupidly little money and nobody bought it (granted I understand there were a few issues with the original sellers response to emails)

I certainly am not in a position to take on another car destined for the scrap yard or banger track (I already saved one albeit much less rare) - fair enough that it actually gets used rather than sitting on someones drive for another 8 years and then being too rusty to save (it is already very rusty)

what do you mean the fact that it was offered at a really low price has dictated where it is going - absolute rubbish, it hung around for well over a week, including it being advertised on here. A Banger racer bought it as no-one else did. It would be a different story if it hadnt been offered and seen by most people on here and retro-rides first and simply privately sold to an oval racer, but it wasnt.

Made a change that it was offered cheap too, considering the prices of some cars now are rocketing.

Edited by Jason b

As i got first shout at this at this over on Retro Rides, something didn't add up? ? ? Spoke to the guy, arranged collection

even tried to pay a deposit there and then. (i knew it wont gonna stay around for long at the price) But seller then din't send

address. Couple of days pass and more ppl wanted it but no contact from the seller. Thought o well some one guzubed me.

Then it appeard on e bay £200 but it now. Some one hit the button, straight away and then it sold.

The good thing tho to come out of it, the guy who bought it will make a mint out of the spares he sells, proberly get his £££

back and MORE CARS WILL BE SAVED ? ? ?

Didn't realise there would be so much interest, I will post some bits if you are all keen. Will be raced at standlake tillo 25th april. If anyone is interested pm me as ill get a beep on my phone and will be able to get back to you quicker in the evenings. Thanks. Also I'm not racing a tidy car, its in a pretty bad way, if it was worth restoring I would of ebayed it!

Read more: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pfsw&action=display&thread=100971#ixzz1I5Xt64jY

NB Quote above from guy on retrorides - not me :)

Cor great stuff I love banger racing!

Where's it gonna be mashed to fook, by bigger stronger bangers, would love to go and see this old Cav get a hammering, As previously said..... At least it will get used/driven unlike a lot of cars bought by people as ongoing projects that have ended in the crusher.

get a club stand up when its being raced. good night out for the local guys to the track. dont forget your tools to rob the bits or wait for the part you require to fly off on impact :lol:

Edited by rutts

• 4 weeks later...

The times I've seen Manta's being sold off of ebay, then the new owners coming on here saying thatthey are going to "restore" and start buying up parts, then these cars and parts are never heard of again.....

As previously said..... Good to know this car actually got driven before hitting the breakers yard :thumbup