Exhausts!

matt24680

hi guys iv been looking into getting a new exhaust syatem for my gte hatch and was wandering what kind to get? I want a nice grunt off it ! so has anyone fitted stainless sytems?custom? or sportex ect off ebay? or would i be best to just leave the original system in and replace the back box with a new shiney one? really looking for comments on this,prices and pics if any?

Thanks Matthew :thumbup

I bought a sportex one off ebay for my old hatch, the tailpipe stuck out to the side so I had to cut it off, straighten it up and weld it back on. Seriously loud, I ended up putting on a scorpion stainless backbox in place of the sportex one to quieten it down a bit...

If I was buying another i'd get a stainless one, a few extra quid but it'll last the time.

Cheers, Peter.

I've got a Sportex system on my GTE, its been on since i got the car 5-6 years ago.

Brilliant!

Yes its burbley but not outrageously loud and not farty sounding, Imprezza sounding not chaved up 18 year olds punto sounding.

Nice fit and lovely chrome tailpipe which has not got a speck of rust on it.

Edited by Quarter-Life-Crisis

I can see that Jetex is the UK dealer of Simons Exhaust Systems. They are really good, good durability and very nice sound without beeing too much. Nice sporty sound and if you are lucky you just might be able to get one of those Simons GrB exhaust systems, they are 2,5" and are really bad ass cool.gif

I have an Ashley on the hatch. It's much too loud, the tailpipe is too big, and it doesn't fit very well and knocks the body all the time (and when it rests on the body it sounds even louder inside)

That's a "no" vote from me then!

I was speaking to a seller of ashley and jetex exhausts. I asked what the quality was like and the answer I got made me wonder why on earth they'd sell ashley.

I got a gte exhaust system direct from jetex. They did say the downpipe was special order, min 5, for coupe but not hatch (apparently popular in sweden?), but then got me one anyone without any probs.

Had a Sportex system on my GTE hatch up until I sold it 3 years ago. Sounded great, however I had to get an extra link pipe custom made, as it was slightly too short (probably my fault for keeping the original down pipes on due to the manifold bolts being seized). I believe that they are getting expensive now - so much so that a custom made stainless exhaust will probably not cost that much more and last a lot longer.

Them Ashley's are 'pants' very cheap and nasty. After driving my auld hatch for an hour or so! I was getting a sore head from the 'racket' it was making :o

However: they're cheap and their better than nothing :thumbup

[edit]

ps I believe there is a 'slightly' different angle on the hatch pipe vs the coupe(Can can't proved it for sure)! hench fitting a coupe one on a hatch will result in 'knocking'.

Edited by keith1200

steel, I would be interested to know how much a hand built 304-316 system is nowadays, I was lucky, it cost bugger all.

Made by P.D. Gough in Nottingham, seriously fine craftsmen.

last time i was down there he was making a full system for a 1977-8 toyota celica 2000gt think it cost around £300 take a look here

http://www.google.co...5nh7jMw&cad=rja

Edited by steel

[quote name='keith1200' timestamp='1303338984' post='19

[edit]

ps I believe there is a 'slightly' different angle on the hatch pipe vs the coupe(Can can't proved it for sure)! hench fitting a coupe one on a hatch will result in 'knocking'.