New Sheffield Area Meeting In May 2011

399Road

Hello,

This will be our Fourth meeting now of the newly formed " Sheffield Area OMOC " We'll be meeting again at the Toby Carvery, ( formerly the Bowshaw Inn ), which is located right at the top of Dronfield near Sheffield. We meet from around 7.30PM . Last month we had a Chevette hatchback, a Manta B coupe, a Manta C GTE Exclusive and 2 Ascona B's in the carpark and we're expecting a couple more Mantas this time so there will be plenty of cars for you to look round if you can make it.

................ Luke.

Hi Luke the New Manta is coming on thow my re-paint deadline has gone out the window :( the drivers side is as far as welding is concerned done,

Busy day again tomoz getting the tank back on, the drivers door back on and wing, bumper etc then get it running again ready for Thursday, C U there :thumbup

Paul

Ey up Paul,

Sounds like you've had a busy month too then? Is there much mechanical work to do or is it just the bodywork that needs attention to get rid of the Matt black?

I've been round to Rob's place today to pick up a couple of bits. His A series is coming on quickly now and makes me think that I need to be back on with my Manta again. He's made new seat frames for his Recaros that fit nice and low down and I'll soon be copying these to lower the Asconas seats down too. Today was the first time I'd seen his A sat on its wheels instead of axle stands and it looks nice and low.

Darren's Starlet's Zetec conversion is near enough sorted now and he's lifting everything back out to paint the engine bay next week. I think he's also coming across on Thursday night.

..Luke.....

I might try and get over to a couple of these as its about an hour away from me. can't promise a Manta for some time, but getnerally I'll be in an old GM of some sort.

Fly back to the UK on Wednesday so this month might be a bit tight for me. Never say never though!!!

I might try and get over to a couple of these as its about an hour away from me. can't promise a Manta for some time, but getnerally I'll be in an old GM of some sort.

Fly back to the UK on Wednesday so this month might be a bit tight for me. Never say never though!!!

Thanks for your reply, We'll all look forward to meeting up in the next few months. Is your '75 Suntor camper a Marina or am I barking up the wrong tree? The reason I ask is that a couple of years ago, me and Rob ( BHP ) found a load of old cars on a farm not too far away from our meet and I'd guess there are at least 15 Marinas and Itals there, mostly estates. Maybe there would be a few good spares for you. See you later.... Luke.

hey up luke.

I can make on thursday as i'm on days so i'll come straight from there, be about 7.30 ish, cracking day today, hope ive still got a licence as it was like wacky races going home :D

Ey up Mick,

Which one of the wacky racers are you? I think you and Rob would be like the Slagg brothers in the Bouldermobile ! I think that car was CIH powered.... See you on Thursday night... Luke.

Now then Chesweejen, Dont let the brown car out run ya on the bypass this time........

See you on the road shagg..

Rob,

In your dreams....

Met up with a bloke called Graham at the Thorsby Show on Monday. He's got another Ascona B, this time a red four door 2000 SR and is lowered and slightly modified. He sounds like a bit of an old boy racer ( he's 70 ) and is hoping to come along on Thursday night in his Ascona. He's also got an 1800 Viva SL in emerald green and had this car on display at Thorsby. Paul, from Doncaster, was telling us about this red Ascona he'd seen, at the meeting last month. Small world eh? That will be three Asconas in the car park then!

Hello all,

We had another good evening last Thursday night at Dronfield. Paul had brought his latest GT/E hatch along to show us all. He bought this car after its previous owner had decided not to tidy up its original Silver bodywork , but to paint it Matt Black instead. Paul's already on with another GT/E project and is going along the C20 XE and LSD route but I think he fancied another Old school daily driver to run about in while he builds his best car up. Of course, nobody can buy another car and be 100% happy with it so he's chosen to ditch the Matt Black and smarten this new car up. This new car was already taxed and tested so he's doing the rolling restoration thing and working on it most evenings and weekends. He says he's already had the " I'm a car widow " conversation with the Mrs, so he's having to tread carefully at the moment.

To be fair, this new car looks pretty solid to me. Ok, it's got multi coloured panels and the Black paint , but things have to look worse before they can look better and he's already got a new O/S rear wheelarch welded in place, filled , shaped and primed up . He's doing the N/S arch next and he's already fitted the best doors, wings, bumpers and bonnet he has, so it will soon be ready to paint. The inner wings are really good and are still Silver so this will make things easier. This car looks pretty mean all multi coloured and you would definately get out of its way.

The other Paul, from Barnsley brought his Red Exclusive out again. This car has only been on the road for the last month and he seems pretty happy with it, apart from thinking his Manta is a bit slower than he remembered his old GT/E being. He has been spoilt since his last Manta though with driving a five litre Porsche 928 GT, so maybe this might make the Manta feel a little slow! Paul's got a 2.2 Peter Maiden built engine with a big valve head, lightened and balanced bottom end and uprated camshaft, sat in his garage from " back in the day " and I can see this getting rebuilt and fitted soon. His other V8 Manta project has had another session with the welder this month....watch this space!

Mick's Red Manta B is still going strong and he's wondering if it's worth all the effort of 2.4ing it with how it's going at the moment. I was going to write " Why fix it if it's not broke " but soft lad will probably see this as a challenge. ( Sorry Mick ) He's also picked up a set of Revolution RFX's and has sent them away for refurbishment. They are the best looking ones with the dished spokes and recessed centres. I think these rims will finish the car off perfectly.

Rob's Brown Ascona will probably be up for sale soon. His A series Manta is now coming on in leaps and bounds as he's concentrating every spare hour he has into building this car. He's fitted a clever kit from an E30 BMW that relocates your Battery in the boot. I've had one of these kits off him and theres everything you need, even the earth strap and brackets to weld into your boot floor. If anyone else wants one of these kits then contact him through here ( his I.d is BHP on here.)

My Ascona is at the rolling road on Monday. It seems to be running ok still but I just want to get the fuelling checked out. I've ordered a Quaife Quick rack kit this morning so I'll hopefuly have a bit less steering to do the next time it gets a flap on! Another job I'll do this month is to modify the Torque tube crossmember and fit another bearing to its nose end. Alymac on here does these bearings if anyone needs one.

See you later.... Luke.

I missed this meet by a day. The Manta was MOTd, insured, and just needed taxing. I went to tax it last Saturday but the car has been untaxed for 15 years. The last keeper had its taxation class as Disabled, so the nice lady :rolleyes: at the Post Office basically told me where to go.:o Which was to the DVLA Local Office, as that was the only place it could be taxed. The DVLA, being a government agency, always like to shaft the normal working man and only open 9-5 Mon-Fri. Guess what my working hours are? So I had to take time off work Friday to tax the ferkin thing. Anyway all is good now and the Manta has been out for a few spins and runs quite well to say it hasnt been on the road since1996. Thanks again to the usual suspects for their help and I will buy them a beer at the next meet. Hopefully :unsure:

Hi Ian,

I wasn't sure if your car would be ready for this meet. At least it's sorted and fully legal now. Three of us made it to Retro rides at Meadowhall and we had five cars at the Dronfield meet this time. Well done getting your long term project back on the road, I'll look forward to seeing it soon..... Luke

Heyup

Had a good laugh going home as the dearne parkway was very quiet except for my exhaust, gave dill a run, but to tell the truth his isn't slow it just doesn't :o rev out like mine because mines on carbs and his is injection, think your right Luke. dill's used to the v8 beetle ( sorry mate ) see yeh soon …

That's the trouble Dill they don't. My arse had a proper 10 pence 5 pence moment at those lights, my disc's are warped to hell, I've got some more though and I'll be fitting them this week as mot is due this month, got them from worsborough motor spares, 2.2 Carlton ones :D

Bring it on ascona boys with your fancy valvers :-)....... Done the discs now it stops , put in some LED side lights ( no there not Chav ) and I've slammed it another inch on the rear, looks cool as fink,, going to put an oil cooler on it, any ideas on kit to use Luke....

CIH's Rule !!!!!!!!!

Mick,

Have you heard of a company called Think Automotive? They make Mocal oil coolers and can supply all the correct fittings and oil filter sandwich plate that you'll need. Have a look on their website and order a catalogue. All the different thread types and fittings are explained in the catalogue. The best sandwich plates to use are the ones with the thermostat in, to prevent over cooling of your oil. I've fitted one of their coolers to the upper side of the Manta's front panel crossmember with some M6 riv nuts. Think Automotive can also supply the red and blue anodised " JIC " fittings you see on drag racers and Formula One cars but they are expensive at the side of the normal ones and use a different type of oil hose that's about £25 a metre.

I bet your Manta looks loads better with the rear suspension dropped to match the front. If it's now really low then you might end up shortening your rear panhard rod to get the rear axle back in line. I've got most of my modified torque tube crossmember done today for the Ascona. This should straighten the prop's rear universal joint up and hopefully get rid of that funny noise it was making. ....Luke..

IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN AN OIL COOLER TO CATCH THE BROWN CAR.....

Ha Ha, Give it to em Rob. I had the Ascona sideways again earlier out of the bottom of Bents Rd on the way back from yours. The road looks like it's recently been resurfaced and is nice and smooth and I got it on full left hand lock....... Try that with your Girls diff ! ..Luke..

Edited by 399Road