Steel / Alloy Torque Tubes.

steely dan

The dimensions are the same. The steel version is stronger, and is often mounted on B series for strength. A busted torque tube is not a pretty sigt :)

I know ,it resulted in a DNF for us last weekend.

Thanks , but I'm still asking if the only difference is in the material of the casing ?

I'm going to be fitting a spherical bearing in place of the rubber version and prior to making the cage I want to know what the real difference is between the two.

Not sure on the ally one, but the steel one is just a tube with a 4 bolt fange on the diff end and 3 rubber bobins that mount to the cross beam at the other end.

I have one up at the shed, so I'll try and get some pics for you.

Not sure on the ally one, but the steel one is just a tube with a 4 bolt fange on the diff end and 3 rubber bobins that mount to the cross beam at the other end.

Cheers . I do know that they are identical externally what I'm trying to find out is is the shaft a larger diameter within . Rubber bearing ( with bobbins ) is the same part A ,B ,steel or alloy .

I suspect that the myth of the stronger steel torque tube is down to the casing material .

I've got a steel torque tube in my rally car, i presume its from an A as the rear flange doesn't look homemade

Mine has the standard crossmember and rubber dougnut mounting at the front, with a standard tube inside with bobbins outside.

When i do my next one it will be 5 linked instead

The torque tube is identical except for the material. It´s also the same internally (same dimensions).

This has proved over and over to be a weak link on the Manta´s. You could take a look at a Volvo 240 series rear axle. They have the propshaft going all the way to the pumpkin and that system works. Perhaps a Volvo (Dana) rear axle could be a possibility for you, they are aprox the same width as the Manta B ones. I have planned to mount such an axle for some time but have never had the chance to do it. All you really need to do is clean the Volvo item from its original parts and weld on the Opel parts (brackets etc). You would get a much more sturdy rear axle, and you would solve the torque tube problem at the same time thumbsup.gif

ah.so the steel one has 3 bobbins. thats a better idea than the bouncy 2 square mounts a std one has.

All the B series alloy ones we have have triangulated triple rubber bobbins .

As for replacement we'll probably go for a 4 link atlas with watts linkage if we change out as we're already running Ford engine and tranex box.

Edited by steely dan
  • Like 1

All the B series alloy ones we have have triangulated triple rubber bobbins .

As for replacement we'll probably go for a 4 link atlas with watts linkage if we change out as we're already running Ford engine and tranex box.

wow didnt know that.when did they change them? i thought all mk1 cavs,mantas etc had the square 2 post mountings. do you have an ally torque tube for a b series for sale & will it fit the normal mk1 cav crossmember or is that different. if you have any pictures that would be great. typical. just modded my 76 to a third top mount & never knew later mantas were already 3.

• 1 year later...

Just reading through this and wonder if it is worth looking to get an older steel torque tube to replace the ally one on my Manta.

If so, does the cross-member have to be changed as well.

Wondering if it may be best to get a price on a Scimitar type axle with discs, a four-link setup and lsd, rather than bother with improving the standard unit

That certainly seems to be a comment posted in this other thread

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/25460-torque-tube-mount-mods/

Some other explanation of torque tube/shaft mods here, for reference

http://users.telenet.be/jov/opeltuners/torquetube/tubemod.html

Right now, I just need to get the car road legal, then rally legal, but don't want to miss out on worthwhile ideas too

just what i was wondering(or was a long while ago. no one seems to have confirmed this) i thought all cavs & mantas were two square moulded rubber mounts but read that some have 3. is this definately true????????????? if so anyone got a later type one to sell ?