Manta Gte Engine Temperature

BMD

just a wee one lads, maybe not a prob at all; my '88 gte was losing coolant for a long while, during which time the temp gauge went up to and remained at approx 1/2 - 3/4 way on the dial when warm, and heater worked ok; i fitted new radiator cap this week and this solved the coolant leak (thanks rick!) but on its first decent run today i noticed the eng temp gauge hovers just off the blue 'cold' section on the dial; the heater is working fine, and everything else seems ok, should i be worried or stop fussing :(

cheers guys...

update to this lads, took her out again there now and the gauge is not moving up at all on the dial; getting warm air ok, so i presume this would be the temp sender unit/sensor?

update to this lads, took her out again there now and the gauge is not moving up at all on the dial; getting warm air ok, so i presume this would be the temp sender unit/sensor?

If you take the wire off the temp sender and short it to earth, then turn on the ignition, you should see the the needle rise quickly from its' stop and go past the red. If this happens then the guage and wiring are both ok. This leaves the sender......or you've no water behind the sender :o

How did you go about filling with coolant?

John.

thanks lads, my heater temp comes in as normal, the only thing now is the temp gauge does not move up at all, and she does have fresh coolant as i fitted a new radiator cap las week...thats why i hoped it was just a sender problem, i'll get a look at her tomorrow,

cheers

I think I'm having the same problem. Water temp goes straight up to hot very quickly even if it's cold. Ive just put a brand new temp sensor in........ :(

Completerly the opposite problem.

If water cold and gauge reading hot, short, stabiliser or sender would be my guess

Had similar problems with my Manta 1.8, loosing coolant and the temperature problems, it turned out to be the head gasket had gone and was pressurising the coolant system. Heads just been skimmed so hopefully I'll put it back together this weekend if it doesn't rain!

Mine is same as Suttys, after a few minutes needle goes fairly quickly right up to or just before the red, fuel guage seems to be OK so I presume voltage regulator isn't the problem.

It's a bit disconcerting to see such a high reading, so any ideas on this front much appreciated.

Should add, radiator removed, everything flushed & new coolant in.

Plumster, I know how u feel. It goes very quickly up to red then stays there. I tow a caravan with mine so I know it's not boiling over. But you're right, it's very dodgy ground not knowing what it's true temp is!