Stem Seal Tool?

conaero

Hi, got the GT running very nice with its P2 head off a mid 80's Rekord/Carlton, but I am getting a lot of smoke on hot restart, and I know enough to know the valve stem seals have gone.

Now, I thought is was a head off job, but the garage owner who just tuned her up says, there is a took you can get that goes in via the spark plug to lift the valve. He had one but it broke.

Can anyone enlighten me as to if this is possible to do on a 2L CIH engine, and where I could buy/borrow the tool from. The garage guy says if I can get it, he will fit them, oh, and I need to get the stem seals from somewhere so any pointers appreciate.

Off to Le Mans in 4 weeks so keen to get this done before I go.

Cheers fellas!

Matt

Hi, got the GT running very nice with its P2 head off a mid 80's Rekord/Carlton, but I am getting a lot of smoke on hot restart, and I know enough to know the valve stem seals have gone.

Now, I thought is was a head off job, but the garage owner who just tuned her up says, there is a took you can get that goes in via the spark plug to lift the valve. He had one but it broke.

Can anyone enlighten me as to if this is possible to do on a 2L CIH engine, and where I could buy/borrow the tool from. The garage guy says if I can get it, he will fit them, oh, and I need to get the stem seals from somewhere so any pointers appreciate.

Off to Le Mans in 4 weeks so keen to get this done before I go.

Cheers fellas!

Matt

Matt

Stem seals are available from any good motor factors, payen no HR336. As for the tool not heard of it being done on a CIH but they did used to do it on cvh ford motors by pumping compressed air into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole and then using a tool to compress the spring. To be honest i think it will be quicker to whip the head off and do it rather than making a tool.

HTH

Chris

Thanks Chris, Ill get the stem seals, I dont have time to whip the head off, I have to fit a Getrag 5 speed this weekend then I am off on hols then need the car for Le Mans when I get back.

Anyone else got any ideas or done it?

you can do it by inserting some thick cord(washing line) into the spark plug hole when the piston is lowest & then bring the piston up the bore to hold the valve in place. you can then compress valve spring without fear of losing the valve. yopu will however need a tool of some sort to press down the valve caps to get the collets out. i made mine from a flat plate with two holes in.one hole to go on the rocker stud,the other hole over the valve. wind down usung a rocker nut & tap valve to release collets. ( BEWARE OF THEM FLICKING OFF SOMREWHERE)

I have seen a telescopic wind out tool years ago for this.

Valve stem wise......... inlets have "conventional seals", exhausts have a rubber O ring under the mushroom cap. It has been known for people to put the mushrooms on the inlets by mistake....................

As cam.in.head says, feed thick string down the bores to hold the valves against the piston and I've just made this to compress the springs.....

SP_A0358.jpg

Slight overkill especially for a CIH engine where the springs are much more accessable

If your changing the gearbox also? i'd whip the lot out and change the seals on a bench. Fit the box to the engine then; pop it back in. A wee tip! break the torque on the head bolts before removing.

Nice bit of kit Christ :thumbup

Agree with keith, worth lapping the valves in at the same time as well, seeing as they will all be loose.

A good day with an early start would prob see you done, gearbox and all.

Good luck

Chris

Thanks guys, alot of helpful info I have phoned the old Opel Garage (Pats) in Lyndhurst so see if they can do it, I dont fancy doing that one myself. They have a couple of guys that have been there 30 years so they should be able to do it for me.

I just managed to fit the Getrag 240 and all seams well. The only issue I have is there is a semi circular plate that goes behind the flywheel and bolts to the bell housing of the gearbox. My old 4 speed one does not fit, anyone got one or know where to get one from?

Edited by conaero