E36 Grn Aka Project Genisis

taylorblue5

Hi guys, as iv gained valuable info from other peoples projects iv decided it a must to show you all mine.

Hopefully it will be of use to others out there with similar problems and aspirations.

I bought the car from Gaz Chambers (couperman) around a month ago and had it transported from Skelmersdale to Glasgow for £170, found a very useful site www.uship.com where couriers bid on your cargo. Very very useful indeed!!

Iv learned not to be put off by anything on a project car as there is always a way to fix a problem.

The car needed quite a lot of work and as i work at sea i decided to break it down into 2 stages.

STAGE 1

N/s Chassis rail

N/s transverse Chassis channel

N/s A pillar

O/s Sill

N/s wing mounting rail

Both floor pans needed quite alot of welding also.

P1030522.jpg

P1030526.jpg

P1030529.jpg

P1030512.jpg

P1030510.jpg

I am very very pleased to announce that they have all been ticked of the list with help from my welding god Dougie!

P1030683.jpg

P1030684.jpg

P1030685.jpg

P1030697.jpg

P1030696.jpg

P1030692.jpg

P1030512.jpg

P1030688.jpg

P1030687.jpg

P1030690.jpg

So far so good.

Stage 2

Rest of the little welding filling jobs.

Prob replace both rear arches and quarter bottoms.

Full respray in ford frozen white, i know its not the original colour but iv got litres of it sitting in the garage.

The black plastics will prob be painted in saab obsidian black, because i also have lots of that! lol.

Dashboard and centre console etc will be sent away to be flocked.

Iv got 2 sets of digital dash's, one from an astra one from a senator, iv used astra before, senator was larger and of etter quality although i think it will need quite abit of customising to make it fit as the binicle is to large for the manta.

My plan was to mount my switch panel on the centre consol and mount beside it the digital rev counter etc but upon dismanteling i found that they use a magnetic strip connection that will no doubt need the whole printed circuit board from the whole unit! Gutted as it would look Retro as f@*k!

I hope to pull the engine and box out and have it looking as good as Kate middletons snatch on her weddin night!

17 inch bbs alloys, rears staggered, hopefully!

Edited by taylorblue5

Ye he has the talent there! £300 quid for all the welding! Still need to get the rollcage mounts made up then send it away for paint or chrome, have'nt decided yet.

Hope te weather dries today as i want to get the new alternator strapped to the redtop n sort out the ever dodgy Manta electrics, my second Manta and the wirings the same, Halfords special.

Nearly everywire is the same coulour and disappears into the same place. lol.

I am sure the chopped wires where the LASERLINE ALARM. It was all plumbed in fine when the astra loom hooked up to the remapped ECU. I never chopped anything else I promise! I don't touch what I don't understand!

COME ON ASH CLOUD!!! :lol:

Well interesting time today! Fitted the new Alternator, everythin good until i fitted all the lights up, as soon as i did the engine stopped and i saw a big spurt of fuel from beside the inlet manifold.

Need to find the cause asap, seems to be just a pipe so il have a look when the rain goes off.

Well interesting time today! Fitted the new Alternator, everythin good until i fitted all the lights up, as soon as i did the engine stopped and i saw a big spurt of fuel from beside the inlet manifold.

Need to find the cause asap, seems to be just a pipe so il have a look when the rain goes off.

In my experience! your best to change the lot, in one go (disturbing pipes tend to leak).ignore that just I remembered it's a redtop :unsure:

I'm glad to see this one is being saved :D as I honest thought it would have been stripped, nice to see otherwise :D

Keep up the good work and its nice to know these's another manta in Scotland :thumbup:D

Keith

Edited by keith1200

Super Duper! Cannot wait to see this mate...... I may recall that damn pipe leaking on me in the past, fuel dripped onto the inlet manifold (if that's what it is!) I think, which was hot! The smell of fuel when driving is NOT good!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, as iv gained valuable info from other peoples projects iv decided it a must to show you all mine.

Hopefully it will be of use to others out there with similar problems and aspirations.

I bought the car from Gaz Chambers (couperman) around a month ago and had it transported from Skelmersdale to Glasgow for £170, found a very useful site www.uship.com where couriers bid on your cargo. Very very useful indeed!!

Iv learned not to be put off by anything on a project car as there is always a way to fix a problem.

The car needed quite a lot of work and as i work at sea i decided to break it down into 2 stages.

STAGE 1

N/s Chassis rail

N/s transverse Chassis channel

N/s A pillar

O/s Sill

N/s wing mounting rail

Both floor pans needed quite alot of welding also.

P1030522.jpg

P1030526.jpg

P1030529.jpg

P1030512.jpg

P1030510.jpg

I am very very pleased to announce that they have all been ticked of the list with help from my welding god Dougie!

P1030683.jpg

P1030684.jpg

P1030685.jpg

P1030697.jpg

P1030696.jpg

P1030692.jpg

P1030512.jpg

P1030688.jpg

P1030687.jpg

P1030690.jpg

So far so good.

Stage 2

Rest of the little welding filling jobs.

Prob replace both rear arches and quarter bottoms.

Full respray in ford frozen white, i know its not the original colour but iv got litres of it sitting in the garage.

The black plastics will prob be painted in saab obsidian black, because i also have lots of that! lol.

Dashboard and centre console etc will be sent away to be flocked.

Iv got 2 sets of digital dash's, one from an astra one from a senator, iv used astra before, senator was larger and of etter quality although i think it will need quite abit of customising to make it fit as the binicle is to large for the manta.

My plan was to mount my switch panel on the centre consol and mount beside it the digital rev counter etc but upon dismanteling i found that they use a magnetic strip connection that will no doubt need the whole printed circuit board from the whole unit! Gutted as it would look Retro as f@*k!

I hope to pull the engine and box out and have it looking as good as Kate middletons snatch on her weddin night!

17 inch bbs alloys, rears staggered, hopefully!

Won't ever complain about the welding on my Coupe again - seeing the job you have on your hands here - total respect for you :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Im at work just now so collecting parts to blitz the car when im back. Powdercoated items are home and quaife 2.5 turn quick rack on its way. Happy times.

P1030576.jpgP1030579.jpg

Roof, Decided on cutting out the sunroof and welding it up. Any advice from previous experience guys??

16072011273.jpg

New Harness's

P1010039.jpg

Edited by taylorblue5

if you decide to weld up the sun roof panel then take care to keep the heat down otherwise the whole panel will distort!

you could replace the OEM sunroof for one of the well used glass options - clio i think from memory but ask around cos some have already done it.

Yes Gaz its amazing what u can accomplish with a welder these days, haha. Na thats my other sideways slag!! Iv recieved the package mate yes, iv not had a chance to see the pics etc as im in Falmouth but lookin fwd to doing so. Cant wait to get it finished now, paint is happenin soon. Looking at a lsd, throttle bodies and possibly a 400 bodykit in the near future, Im going to have alot of time off while the half our fleet of ships are in Birkenhead bein rebuilt so il defo be getting stuck in.

UPK, thanks for ur comment, im just goin to weld it over, the roof has a few holes that are currently temp fixed with chem metal but its in the garage. iv got welding magnets to keep the metal flush.

Whatt thickness would you say the roof metal is? cant get the micrometre out as im away, 0.9mm or 1.2?? Thanks guys.:thumbup

I know you've done a lot of work to E36 GRN, but where is was good, it was actually quite good, did you not think? Yeah it was shot in places, my fault, sorry! but I have seen many other cars in much worse nick in other 'usual' places, where you'd expect them to go on a manta.

GAZ

Oh ye, its defo a great project. Just annoyin in the respect that theres a little bit here n there that makes a good bit not so good, lol.

Jst little bits that are really hard to work on, scuttle panel round the wiper, 4 slot n roof etc. Its comin along nicely and meeting great folk along the way!

It wasn't registered with the red top (1979 on the V5 and not 1998cc), but it was insured with one, group 16 as per the ASTRA GTE I think...... Them brakes used to be OK, but after standing for so long I wouldn't trust them. The best brakes I ever had were on the car before which had WILWOOD 4 pots on 335mm discs. Make that 2 drinks then mate?