Springs For A Series

Thomas77GR

Hello

this is basic question:

are the springs in the A series 1.6 and 1.9 models the same? (front and rear)

is changing the springs in a manta a diy job or something left to a garage?

I'm not a diy novice but it's the first time I'm going to attempt to change the springs in my manta.

I know there's a section in Haynes but was looking for tips from the pros in here!

thanks in advance!

T

Hi.

Yes the springs are exactly the same.

It is a fairly simple job to change the springs. The shocks are mounted seperatly but you will have to take them off as they are located inside the spring.

What you need to do is get some spring clamps, and take off the tension of the springs. You then unmount the rollbar, the brake caliper (no need to undo the brakelines), the steering joint, and finally remove the bolt from the bottom ball joint. Theres a special tool for pressing out the ball joints so you don´t break anything. What ever you do do NOT hit it with a hammer. If it is stuck you can use a hammer on the side of the ball joint socket and it will pop out. Reverse the process when mounting the new spring.

The balljoints do have a tendency to be a paine in the mahoolah when you mount them. You should be able to push the balljoint upwards using a jacklift.

Be aware that if the balljoints are original there will propably be a pin holding the bolts.

When you know how to do it you can do it in 15-20 minutes pr side of the car, total of maximum 1 hour for the whole car.

Found this drawing that simplifies it a bit :)

the balljoint for the steering is not shown here. And its the lower balljoint (no 50) you need to take off :)

3_Vorderrad-Aufhangung_T-02.JPG

Edited by monzta