Creating A Jig ?

monzta

Hi guys. As my new workshop is quite narrow (i can only work on one side of the car at a time)

I have seen that alot of you guys that have project cars make a jig to mount the entire car in, so it can be turned upside down etc. How do i make one myself?

Im most interested in the mounting points, is this where the bumpers used to be or ?? Wouldnt like it to come crashing down on me blink.gif

If anyone has got some pics i would be most happy to be allowed a small view thumbsup.gif

They really are easy to make, mines built from 2" box section with about 3 or 4mm wall thickness

Basically its an A frame each end with long feet running at 90degrees to the A for stability.

The pivot is sat in the valley at the top of each A and is 2mm thick tube with about 38mm internal size

For the front i used a standard manta gt/e front bumper re-inforcer and added some extra steel across the back between the mounts to box it, the mounts were also welded in place

On the centre of that a length of 38mm CDS roll cage tubing is welded (offcuts i had laying around) for the inner part of the pivot

The rear is some thin 2" box steel with 2 drilled and tapped 10mm thick plates welded on to align with the coupe back panel/bumper mounts, again with a 38mm tube stuck out

I've had a few coupes on it now and a bare shell is easy to turn by hand, had one on with doors still fitted and it needed 2 people to turn it so it didn't get away from you because of the extra weight.

That may not be the best explination of it so i shall try to get a picture or two of it as its not in use for once at the moment.

Here's a shot of it with a shel on its side

c601otl%20(5).jpg

Oh and you won't believe how much better it is working on a shell on its side/upside down than lying on your back trying to weld upwards :thumbup

Exactly what i was thinking, thanks for the pics, really help alot!

I saw another version where both the "A" constructions was connected with long square tubes, and then fitted with wheels. This would be absolutely marvelous for me as i need to push the car out of the shop, (to turn it) and it would be arse to have to fit front and rear axles just to turn the car around... :)

Is that a good idea? I was thinking that if i did a square tube bottom frame which will be fitted with 4 wheels. Then i could weld on the to A frames that will be mounted on the car. Of course the entire thing will need to be easy to assemble once the car will be going in it. Any ideas how to do this? I was thinking of making the bottom frame with wheels so that it can be disassembled into 2 pieces, boltet together on the middle ?

I made this one out of two engine stands and was able to tip it 180 and move it up and workshop

stonechip2.jpg

paint2.jpg

I know it was not as heavy duty as some of the others but did the job and already had the parts,plus bolted straight onto bumper mounting bolts with a little box section

Mick :thumbup

I made this one out of two engine stands and was able to tip it 180 and move it up and workshop

stonechip2.jpg

paint2.jpg

I know it was not as heavy duty as some of the others but did the job and already had the parts,plus bolted straight onto bumper mounting bolts with a little box section

I really like that and it has wheels too, better than mine :)

stonechip2.jpg

paint2.jpg

Oh yeah that was exactly was i was thinking of doing. Great thanx for the pics! I think now i have inspiration to make one myself.

I think i will make one like yours (the red 3-wheeler) and connect the rod holding the third wheel with each other so it can be moved around safely :) I will make it something like this:

1570055_l.jpg

When done i will post pics and costs of production :)

Oh yeah that was exactly was i was thinking of doing. Great thanx for the pics! I think now i have inspiration to make one myself.

I think i will make one like yours (the red 3-wheeler) and connect the rod holding the third wheel with each other so it can be moved around safely :) I will make it something like this:

1570055_l.jpg

When done i will post pics and costs of production :)

Only problem with putting a connecting rod is that when you tilt the car the engine stands twist following centre of gravity due to the upright bits being tilted back slightly ,like i said i would go with two 4 wheel stands and it will never fall over ...Mick

Only problem with putting a connecting rod is that when you tilt the car the engine stands twist following centre of gravity due to the upright bits being tilted back slightly ,like i said i would go with two 4 wheel stands and it will never fall over ...Mick

Even when you push it around? I would be worried that the two jigs would flip out and the car would land on the roof or something, thats why i would use the connecting rod, but i guess this could also be made on a 4 wheel model of course :)

i moved mine around on my own with ease and it never even wobbled.I suppose to be extra cautious you could put a crossbar accross when the car is flat to move it .I ran a piece of 1" by 10mm flat bar down the front chassis and secured with the original bumper bolts using captive nuts,the rear i used a piece of thick walled 1" by 1" box with a spacer to bring it away from back panel(through bumper mounts again).Pity your so far away as i still have the frames i built and you could have used them .Good luck with your build ..Mick :thumbup

Edited by rayman

i moved mine around on my own with ease and it never even wobbled.I suppose to be extra cautious you could put a crossbar accross when the car is flat to move it .I ran a piece of 1" by 10mm flat bar down the front chassis and secured with the original bumper bolts using captive nuts,the rear i used a piece of thick walled 1" by 1" box with a spacer to bring it away from back panel(through bumper mounts again).Pity your so far away as i still have the frames i built and you could have used them .Good luck with your build ..Mick :thumbup

Okay, well that sounds okay then :) Yeah for safety´s sake i think i will make some sort of device to mount when moving the entire rig around, you know, better safe than sorry :)

Yeah it is a pitty, however it seems i can make a £ or two as a couple of Manta nuts here also wants one if i succeed in building one myself :)

I like the two engine stands idea!! They are that cheap now it makes a lot of sense. It's nice to have them with and without wheels if you see what I mean as sometimes you don't want it moving about, but some jack screws welded on would soon sort that