1987 Genuine Irmscher Manta Gt/e Exclusive Coupe

2400man

Hello folks! Just wanting to test the water as I shall be putting this on the market shortly – may well be taking it to Billing. Reason for sale – I really wanted a Carmine Red coupe and was beginning to doubt finding one in the right condition so bought this in 2009. It’s been hardly been used since, having been in storage at my lockup. I had half thought of having it resprayed in Carmine Red but didn’t really want to consider that, not least because the Dolphin Greys are so rare, plus the hassle factor of course. Then a Carmine Red coupe came up for sale last month so problem solved.

The low down on the car:

It’s had a fair bit of modification over the last 15 years or so. Around 1998 the standard 2 ltr lump was converted to a 2.2 with big valve head, lightened balanced flywheel and clutch. The standard inlet components were also reworked to improve flow and a K&N panel filter and adjustable fuel pressure regulator fitted. It was rolling road tested at 140bhp/149lbft at the flywheel. It was also fully resprayed around 1998. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that most of the decals are wrong. I have a complete set of the correct design.

In 2006, the last owner had Spax Krypton gas shocks and 25mm lowering springs fitted. He also had HiSpec billet 4 front calipers on 285mm discs and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve fitted. Additionally he had a rear disc conversion done (not a good idea – see later). In 2007 a new Jetex exhaust was fitted along with ATS Cup 15 inch alloys on Toyo Proxes.

Regarding work I’ve done since buying the car. The boot lid didn’t fit properly on the near side corner above the hinge. Someone had tried to do a cut and shut on the hinge to correct it, which looked horrible and it still didn’t fit right. I sourced a replacement hinge, sprayed it up and fitted it. The rear light panel had been pushed in a bit so this was straightened out. Also as mentioned, the car came with a rear disc conversion. Unfortunately the handbrake system on this was next to useless and failed the recent MOT. The best advice I’ve been given is to convert the rear brakes back to drums so that’s what I’m doing at the moment. All being well the car will be back in for its MOT retest next week and then up for sale.

The bad bits. At some point, the car has sustained minor damage to the near side inner wing. I’m guessing the outer wing was damaged also and replaced but the repair to the inner wing is not great. I bought a replacement panel to fix this, which will be going with the car. There are also a couple of bubbles in the paint work on the bonnet with a few around the sunroof and rear arches. Overall it’s a really solid car.

Not sure on the asking price, with the hassle I’ve had with the handbrake and rear boot lid, probably around £4500.

BTW that was a real gutter with Danny's grey one the other week – the perils of fleabay!

Here’s some pics of the car. Just shout if you want any more.

Cheers David

(1985 GTE Hatch Carmine Red 2.4L, 1987 Irmscher Exclusive Coupe Dolphin Grey 2.2L, 1988 GM Exclusive Coupe Carmine Red 2.0L)

th_11042010043a.jpgth_11042010042a.jpgth_11042010041a.jpgth_11042010039a.jpg

Edited by 2400man

• 4 weeks later...

My Dolphin Grey Coupe is now looking for a good home. Reason for sale - I've bought a Carmine Red one so the Grey one has to go unfortunately. She drives very well and always puts a smile on your face.

th_11042010043a.jpgth_11042010042a.jpgth_11042010041a.jpgth_11042010039a.jpgth_DolphinGreyCoupeenginebay.jpg

Mileage: 78,000

Owners: 6

Engine: 2.2L CIH (2.0L block/head with 2.2 internals and big valves), Jetex exhaust. Rolling road tested at 140bhp/149lbft

Wheels/Tyres: ATS Cup 15/Toyo Proxes including spare. The sale also includes the original anthracite alloys.

Brakes: Front HiSpec Billet 4 Calipers and 285mm vented discs. Rear Standard drums. Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.

Suspension: Spax adjustable gas shocks & 40mm lowering springs

Interior: Seats in good condition. Custom solutions kick panels. Pioneer Radio Cassette with CD Changer, speaker pods in front doors, extra amp in boot with speakers/bass box under rear shelf.

Immobiliser: Sigma Cat 2

Tax till end of Nov 2011, MOT till end of June 2012.

I have MOT certificates going back to 1997 and receipts for work done since 2006 when the previous owner bought it.

There are a few things that need attention. The main one is some minor damage to the area of the nearside inner wing. I bought a replacement inner wing panel for sorting this out which will come with the car if the new owner wants it.

Most of the decals are not the original type. I have a full set of the correct ones. Ive left these off in case the new owner wants some paintwork doing. The car had a full respray around 1998, which still looks very good. However there are a few patches in places like around the arches where its starting to bubble.

Price: £3900 ono

For further info, call David on 07810 897456

Edited by 2400man