Bhh 3T Is Feelin' Poorly !

Copper3T

Hi all ! My Copper Cavalier Sportshatch BHH 3T ( see centre pic. in Club Car photo Gallery ) is having problems with rough running. She ticks over nicely but when on the road at 1500 revs. upwards, runs roughly and gets worse the faster we go.

The car was fitted with a Weber carb conversion and up to recently has been OK apart from a slight hesitation when pulling away.

I had noticed that the car was running rougher before a trip to the Borders Vintage Show at Thirlstane and put in new NGK plugs.

While returning home ( a round trip of about 190 miles ) the car was hesitating, like a missfire. and the flat spot was more pronounced.

The plugs also showed a weak mixture ( Installation leaflet says jets are pre-set ? )

On advice from Bill Dalgetty and my old pal Vauxsenb ( Thanks Colin ) I have replaced the plugs, points, had the dizzy checked and lubed, The rocker breathers are clear, have changed the filter and oil and checked the earth screws mounting the coil and cleaned the lead ends. In have a new condenser but I was told that it was unlikely to cause the bother so have not yet fitted it. The rotor arm was cleaned and refitted ( I will get another asap ) And hope to replace the coil.

The strange thing is that she always ticks over sweetly at 750 / 800 revs. as recommended in the carb. fitting instructions and pulls away strongly. There is now 88,000 miles on the clock.

Has anyone any insight into this problem other than those already outlined ?

Any advice gratefully appreciated. Copper3T ( Sid,. Morton )

Fuel pipe from the tank could be partially blocked, gets enough to tick over and there is enough in the float chamber for it to pull away but then when its running faster it ain't getting enough fuel.

Thanks for the prompt reply Gents :thumbup Thats one thing more to explore, although the car accelerates strongly so there seems plenty of fuel coming through. You might just ( hopefully ) prove me wrong.

I'll let you know the outcome and the cause, if and when I find it.

Cheers ! Copper 3T ( Sid.)

Edited by Copper3T

Thanks for the prompt reply Gents :thumbup Thats one thing more to explore, although the car accelerates strongly so there seems plenty of fuel coming through. You might just ( hopefully ) prove me wrong.

I'll let you know the outcome and the cause, if and when I find it.

Cheers ! Copper 3T ( Sid.)

Sounds more like a jetting issue more than anything else.

Chris

Hi Friends ! Just thought I would let you know that BHH 3T is now in good health.

After an oil change and new filter, rotor arm ( I later replaced the original )replaced the condenser, checked the dizzy cap, coil and plug leads for continuity, reset the carb. to installation spec., she still ran roughly.

On advice from a friend, I decided to replace the plug leads which were the Lucas carbon core type and HEY PRESTO !

Apparently the carbon breaks down and even though there is continuity and the tick over and acceleration was smooth, there is not enough to give a consistant spark at running speed. :rolleyes:

I now think it might be a good idea to order a spare set of leads 'cos I had to order the replacements from the local factors and it took a while.

Ah well, all's well that ends well and she should be good for a while. It just goes to show we never stop learning.

Thanks again for the input lads,

ArfurMo. ( Sid )