Rothmans 400R Sell Or Keep ?

Madmax

Hi all its been a while since i last posted. my 400r just about finished now i havent touched it for about 6 months due to work commitments and i have thought of selling her. Dont realy know what she is worth i have been restoring her for around 2.5 years on and offand repaired her in all the usual places. I used to track her but after nearly having a total wipeout decided to retire her and use my e36 325 doesnt matter if i break that :D . So here she is, some of you boys may remember her and my thread. The big question should i sell her or keep her ? still trying to upload pics ile get there. :lol:

Ok think i have done it cheers froggy23. How much you tell me? I think i am mad for even thinking of selling it, even the wife likes it and that is saying something int it lads ?

Sorry mate but really find this a bit of a nonsense thread.....

Simply put, what is the chance of getting another Manta to the standard you have got that too? Pretty damn remote i'd say, as such if you have such an interest and enthusiasm for the Marque (which looks to be the case due to the work that has been put in to your car) I simply can't understand why you would want to think about getting rid.

Thats what i am saying to myself , where could i find another like it and if i could how much would it cost. How do i put a value on that? It was just a thought as i havent done anything with it for a while not bad though for 34 years old is it. keeping it anyway looking to buy a new exhaust any recomendations i have been looking at an ashley one and a sportex one are they any good? whats the best one?

Cheers Tony

I'll tell you what is priceless, , , Driving something like that on the road... The attenton it would attract would be the sort of attention that some uneducated people would spend 100's of thousands on, yet you can get that attention with a Manta, but there is also a respect from those that know the cars.

Manta's have at last gone out of that "Cheap classic" area, but unfortunately spares are pretty damn scarce, this car of yours would be one to keep and enjoy and to maintain for as long as possible.

And finally I'll add that, I too own a Manta and due to scarcity of the Marque this will be my last one, and all I intend to do over the years is.... to drive it, improve it, and enjoy it.

That thing is absolutely FAT! If it was mine, i´d never depart with it. I´d go hunting for some real Ronal 400 rims, and get on building a 2,4 CIH with a shortened 24V head (16V) to make it even more realistic. I would never stop putting money in a car like that laugh.gif

I know what you mean about the attention factor lots of people pass comment when they see it in the drive. Even when i tracked it people walked passed other more modern cars to come and look at old betsy, not looking so old these days though. I thought about the 2.4 frontera block with the 24v to 16v conversion like on the risse monster. I have a friend who has offered me a tuned normally aspirated cossy engine and box running on twin 48 webbers a nice thing and at the right money, i know the purists out there would say dont do it :o but its an option. ;)

i have been looking at an ashley one and a sportex one are they any good? whats the best one?

Cheers Tony

Ashley? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: When I was after an exhaust ashley was all one supplier could offer and even he told me it was poor quality cheap shite :lol:

Jetex still do systems, but in mild steel. Dunno about sportex but word is they are decent. For a little more coin you get get a stainless made up at a custom place. Prob the best option.

About time this car surfaced. I've been hurting my neck trying to get a look at this every time I go past your drive. It's usually covered up and the other week the cover had blown off partly, so I got a glimpse. I was telling some other omoc members about this car at the Sheffield meet. I live in South Kirkby and have a 76 B Coupe. You need to invite me down for a good look at it. Is it on the road? You could come to the Sheffield meet tonight or some other time. The car looks well, don't forget the invite!, cheers Ian.

I know what you mean about the attention factor lots of people pass comment when they see it in the drive. Even when i tracked it people walked passed other more modern cars to come and look at old betsy, not looking so old these days though. I thought about the 2.4 frontera block with the 24v to 16v conversion like on the risse monster. I have a friend who has offered me a tuned normally aspirated cossy engine and box running on twin 48 webbers a nice thing and at the right money, i know the purists out there would say dont do it :o but its an option. ;)

I have the drawing of what to do with the 24V head, if you are good at the machines (or know someone) it can be done very cheap. Only thing is the Camshafts they are pricy and will need to be bought from Risse, but other than that everything else is simple machining.

I would definatly keep Opel / GM components in that car (especially that car) but as you say it is definatly an option. Another option would be to rebatch it as a i300 (very rare only 28 ever made) and fit in a 3,0 12V

It´s up to you of course, but i hope you keep that gem of a car :)

Oh and by the way, that car there has a twin that lives here in Denmark :)

879410.jpg?16-10-2010_16:47:30

More pics here: http://bilgalleri.dk...l.aspx?ID=35735

And their famous little brother also lives here :)

1266294.jpg?16-10-2010_16:47:30

Some of you TRUE Manta-freaks will recognize that yellow thing :) And no it is not a replica, the owner bought it in Germany 7 years ago and imported it. There where 4 of them made for the film, 1 crashed and 2 was for stuntdriving (glas sunroof) but this one is the "real" one and it even smells a little like Til Schweiger thumbsup.gif

Edited by monzta

I will price up a stainless system. I think a sportex oneis about £250. On the picture i took from ground level car looks like a model i agree. The random gsi hatch pics were in the file of pics i put on forgot to take them out its one i bought and sold it was rotten as a pear i bought it unseen it was cheap at £350 sold it got my money back :blink:. Ian you are welcome to come any time mate just give me a ring 07731844858. Thanks for the invite to the meet tonight cant make it tonight But come see me and let me know when next one is i will try get there.

Thanks again :thumbup

Regards Tony.

Hi Monzta havent really made up my mind about engine yet but i would like a look at your drawings for the 24v head mod i am a mechanical engineer and have the use of a full machine shop and welding equipment could be interesting. Could you email me them. the i300 also a good option. Is the Rothmans twin yours they make a great pair dont they nearly identical. Like the yellow monster too.

Kind regards Tony.

I tell you what GSI marc looks a lot better than when i had it mate. :o I recognised the reg soon as you posted the pics i bought it off ebay off a bloke in Nottingham i think it was his dads before his. Needed quite a bit of work on the body engine and box were sweet if i remember correctly, interior was very good, i nearly stripped it out for mine but just sold it to a friend of a friend who was going to bring it back to life. looks good from the back got any more pics? Well done mate glad to see she is still about. :thumbup

Kind regards Tony

I tell you what GSI marc looks a lot better than when i had it mate. :o I recognised the reg soon as you posted the pics i bought it off ebay off a bloke in Nottingham i think it was his dads before his. Needed quite a bit of work on the body engine and box were sweet if i remember correctly, interior was very good, i nearly stripped it out for mine but just sold it to a friend of a friend who was going to bring it back to life. looks good from the back got any more pics? Well done mate glad to see she is still about. :thumbup

Kind regards Tony

Yes tony it wasnt well when i bought it but i like a challenge, try,d to sell it recently but guy messed me about so decided to get rid of my motorbike and just run the manta, Engine is excellent and interior is sound, its now black has i always fancied a black hatch if you check out project gsi in projects theres pics in there, thanks marc :thumbup

Hi Monzta havent really made up my mind about engine yet but i would like a look at your drawings for the 24v head mod i am a mechanical engineer and have the use of a full machine shop and welding equipment could be interesting. Could you email me them. the i300 also a good option. Is the Rothmans twin yours they make a great pair dont they nearly identical. Like the yellow monster too.

Kind regards Tony.

No it isn´t mine (unfortunatly) it belongs to a friend Kenneth who made it from the ground up and spent 2 years finding the rims :)

No problem regarding the guide to the 16V head, just pm me your email and i´ll get it sent. It´s more like a guide, and its in German but if you have any trouble translating let me know thumbsup.gif