Back Drums?

matt24680

hi guys took the back drums off my 1984 manta gte hatch and found that there was no retaining screw to hold them in or hole for a screw just the wheel nuts holding it on is this right? beacause according to the haynes manual there should be a retaining screw and i want some new drums but cant find ones without? also there is a hole in the rear stub axle bit but its not threaded atall just smooth?

Thanks for any help :thumbup

I had a hell of a job getting the screws out of my Cav, and made sure the drums went back without them, same with my old Manta, never put the screws back, they are only there to keep the drum up tight so that you can adjust the shoes before putting the wheel on, but as you know there is still some adjustment to be made after the wheel is in place, so the screws are not really required.

aaaaa good its not just me then:) does your drums have a hole for a retaining screw or not suppose it doesnt really matter?:thumbup

You know what, I'm not sure if they do! It was a while ago I last did the shoes so I don't remember 100%.

Edited by Leon

Thanks for the replys guys :thumbup one more question probably an easy one but will save some time when adjusting the back drums it says there is adjusting bolts on the back plate but on mine its like rubber grommets with like a flat bit for your thumb? turning them does nothing maybe the adjustment is lying behind these grommits havnt really looked at it.

1984 Manta should not have manual adjust shoes, look further down in the manual at the braking section in the supplement, you should have those splendid Auto (if you are lucky) adjusting shoes.

Edited by opel2000