Got Myself A Genuine 400

ascona400r

• 6 months later...

Fantastic purchase you lucky so and so.

So has it got wider rear end arches as they have the external flange?

Just noticed the swoop around the petrol filler so I guess so.

Are they wider than standard ones do you think ??? Not sure myself to be honest...

All i know is the kit was put on in 1985 and is a genuine Opel kit so if anyone had anymore information on the wider arches i would appreciate it greatly..

Cheers

very nice B) , i always thought the exhaust came out on the drivers side (UK) on manta 400s. Try get some pics up of it what you got with the car. dan

Thought the exhaust only came out of the works cars on the rhs when looking from the rear. Can't be sure but defo an original as chassis number was verified by a friend in Opel, Germany before i went over to the Uk to collect her. Also have original bill of sale from Peeters, Belgium stating her as a 400, plus log book verifies it so thankfully a 400 instead of a 400r this time............

Pics of what spares came are on the front page... These include a set of 8 & 10" ronals, plus original wheels and a spare set of other rims. Two spare lsd axles plus another spare lsd and several different ratio cwp's. Spare radiators, original factory calipers as now has historic ap works calipers. Original springs and shocks, a 3 piece sachs clutch kit. 400 gear box. Several other bits and bobs....

When i bought her, the owner mentioned that he has a few spares that would go with the car if i bought her. I thought that i'd get a pair of brake pads or similar. It was only when i had her on the trailer that he said about loading the other bits that he had bought over the years.

do you want to sell the spare axle cash waiting will collect

cheers

Not thinking of selling the axles as yet... converting an Ascona to 5 stud and using the spare ronals on her. If the thing changes i will give you a shout Peter...

• 2 months later...

Havn't done anything with the Manta since i got her home.

The only thing i did do was buy some magnesium 3 piece ronal racing rims. I have been looking for these for years but never ever saw any for sale. And then these were within a 40 mile radius of my house. I'm not sure how rare they are but just know that i have never saw a set for sale before.

Putting new inner and outer rims onto the magnesium centres to make them like new again. Really can't wait til get round to putting them on when car is eventually roadworthy.

142609001.jpg

Crikey, that one next to the jerry can looks well mangled! Nice find though, they'll look great on your car :)

Yea that one is well buggered indeed. Putting new inner and outer rims on all the magnesium centres anyhow as i want them like new... think they are quite rare and should look well when they are rebuilt.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy way to confirm its a genuine 400 is that a true 400 chassis has a tunnel for the exhaust system. If its a replica this will most certainly not be implemented. But from what i can see that car looks very much like a 100% genuine 400 car. Alot of 400´s was sold in Europe as "narrow" versions, so the aftermarket i400 bodykit is not an issue here. The car can still be genuine. Also not many people would go through the trouble of finding and mounting a genuine 400 rear axle as this is also a big modification to the frame of the car.

• 11 years later...
On 03/05/2012 at 21:48, monzta said:

Easy way to confirm its a genuine 400 is that a true 400 chassis has a tunnel for the exhaust system

Only the rallycars (ofcourse the factory cars "RM" also) have that tunnel and the right side exhaust. The homologation cars have it on the same side as a factory Manta. There are some more minor details that are different from a G/TE but as Monzta wrote the rear chassis rails are an indication. But those chassis rails are yet for sale also...

6 hours ago, H-400 said:

Only the rallycars (ofcourse the factory cars "RM" also) have that tunnel and the right side exhaust. The homologation cars have it on the same side as a factory Manta. There are some more minor details that are different from a G/TE but as Monzta wrote the rear chassis rails are an indication. But those chassis rails are yet for sale also...

There was a guy making them for about €800 on FB, I agreed to have a set but never heard back from him 😬

• Like 1