Fitting Injection To 79 Cav

mantaboy89

In the middle of giving my 79 cav an overhaul, fitting injection, 5 speed, custom exhaust, new brakes etc, got the manifold, distributor, coil etc fitted, just wondering how much work is involved, put a post on before but can't find it on here. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

In the middle of giving my 79 cav an overhaul, fitting injection, 5 speed, custom exhaust, new brakes etc, got the manifold, distributor, coil etc fitted, just wondering how much work is involved, put a post on before but can't find it on here. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

I have just fitted a gt/e engine into my a series and ended up fitting a swirl pot and and additional 'lifter @ fule pump as well as the gt/e one. You will need to run a return fuel pipe from the injection manifold back to the tank. There are only 4 wires to connect from the injection multi plug to the wiring loom. If you look in the technical questions posts, you will fing my enquiries regarding the wiring. I was also told by someone once that you need to use the injection camshaft awell, hence why I used a near complete gt/e engine. :thumbup

Hi.

First of all there is no need to use an injection camshaft. A 2,0S engine will run nicely with a fuel injection, and will give around 105hp. Using the camshaft of the GTE will only increase power by 5 hp (110 total) and does not have anything to do with anything exept a wee bit of power.

Secondly there are as said only 4 wires to connect to the existing wire loom. White (or blue), brown, green and black. They are colour coded to fit the car, so brown is earth, black is ignition, green is ignition coil, and the white or blue is for the electric fuel pump. I suggest that you place the fuel pump at the original location beneath the car just behind the rear axles as it makes alot of noice. It is very tempting to mount it in the trunk but it will annoy you to death :) Only 2 wires to connect here, the one from the ECU and an earth that can be placed on the brackets for the pump.

As also said you need a fuel return, but i would recommend that you find a fueltank from a GT/E car that allready has both swirl pot and fuel return connection.

It is a pretty forward bolt on job, not difficult in any way. It is a great help if you have another car fitted with the injection to take a look at once in a while to make sure that everything is connected properly thumbsup.gif

Fuel connections can tease a little bit if the injection set hasn´t been used for a while. One of the things you should check is the vaacum shut of valve connected between the fuel rails (round box with vaacum connect). This can get stuck and giving it a little wack can make it work sometimes rolleyes.gif

You will also need the GTE ignition system (electronic) and the thermostate housing and all the hoses. You will also need the GTE exhaust manifold or a custom one as the one from the S type engines cannot be used.

Edited by monzta