Floor Soundproofing

mantapaperman

I don´t think that you can even get that old asphalt stuff anymore rolleyes.gif there are however alot of other good products on the market that are much better and will not make your floor rot. Dynamat is one of them but the prices are steep. I don´t know what it is called in English but here in Denmark we have something called led-rubber wich works great and is often used as sound damping for subs etc.

I used the same type of product as flashband in our chevette, we did the whole car as its got an expensive sound system installed, worked out a fraction of the cost of Dynamat. the stuff I used came in roll form, I went with 250mm wide and it worked a treat, just used a heat gun to get it nice and plyable and it sticks like brown stuff to a blanket, easy to use and if you need more density just add a further layer to get even better deadening.

I wont however be putting any deadening back in my Manta, when we get the body shell stripped back to bare metal I am going re seam seal and then spray the entire inside floor pan & bulkhead with stone guard, then do the underside of the car the same, and top coat the whole lot same colour as the body.

I stripped down a Calibra recently and have taken the interior out of my sons E30 BMW to remove that barium loaded foam rubbish they fit in the factory. On both cars the foam sound deadening was acting like a sponge, promoting damp smells & rust.

You'll need to keep them well apart somehow or you'll end up with far more exciting corrosion (galvanic, in fact) than you'd get with the plain steel. Just ask Land Rover owners.

Edited by Joe