Few Questions For Manta B

Lawz

Hey guys

I have a 2.0 CiH manta B that has a few issues im hoping you can help with!

The first is oil loss through the exhaust, which I think im right in saying could be due to oil valve stem seals? Car is on 67k miles and is from '85.

It also has trouble starting occainsly, which I think is being caused by the oil leakage onto the plugs (which are a little oily when removed and inspected). It misfires from cold untill it has warmed up a little (circa 30 seconds-1 minute) but runs fine after that.

It also develops a squeel when either driving or stationary which goes away with the clutch is pressed down. Im thinking thrust/clutch release bearing?

Theres also the occaional quiet rattle from the front which sounds like the tensioner? Chain has been replaced with head in place as the crankshaft pulley bolt wont budge. Anyone have any tips on getting it loose?

If I do replace the valve stem seals (head off) and the clutch release bearing/clutch, is there anything I should be checking/replacing while im there? HG obviously but anything else?

Cheers, Lawz

Hi Lawz. That is about it i think. Alot can be contributed to the oil usage. The rattling, are you sure it isnt the ignition, as this can rattle if running on oil or from bad adjusting. However your oil pressure might suffer from the oil leak and that could also be why the chain rattles as the chain tensioner is using the oilpressure.. ?

If you take the gearbox off to change the clutch bearing you should consider giving it a new clutch when its all apart anyways?

And regarding the head, don´t buy the cheapest set of gaskets you can find, some of them are really crap!

Hey guys

I have a 2.0 CiH manta B that has a few issues im hoping you can help with!

The first is oil loss through the exhaust, which I think im right in saying could be due to oil valve stem seals? Car is on 67k miles and is from '85.

It also has trouble starting occainsly, which I think is being caused by the oil leakage onto the plugs (which are a little oily when removed and inspected). It misfires from cold untill it has warmed up a little (circa 30 seconds-1 minute) but runs fine after that.

It also develops a squeel when either driving or stationary which goes away with the clutch is pressed down. Im thinking thrust/clutch release bearing?

Theres also the occaional quiet rattle from the front which sounds like the tensioner? Chain has been replaced with head in place as the crankshaft pulley bolt wont budge. Anyone have any tips on getting it loose?

If I do replace the valve stem seals (head off) and the clutch release bearing/clutch, is there anything I should be checking/replacing while im there? HG obviously but anything else?

Cheers, Lawz

Lawz

Does the car smoke while driving? If it does could be bore wear, if not sounds like the stem seals. Head gaskets, go for payen or elring and don't use cheap ones as Monzta says they can be rally crap and not last. Sqeal is almost certainly the release bearing.

The rattle could still be the chain as the tensioners will be worn down as well. To check just pull the away from the top cam gear if it pulls away a fair amount the chain will have stretched again. This will be down to worn sprockets, if these aren't replaced all you will do is stretch chains to the pitch of the sprockets. You can get new ones in a timing gear kit, which will have all new tensioners as well. Easy enough to do once the head is off.

To slacken the crankshaft pulley bolt, big breaker bar and tube over it with someone in the car with brakes on. If that doesn't work you can stick the car in reverse gear, put a good fitting socket on the pulley with the breaker bar so that when the car is pushed back in gear the breaker bar will turn and rest on the inner wing /chassis rail (protect with a bit of wood). You can now rock the car to break the bolt. Last option which i find always works is to put the engine on an engine stand, lock the flywheel off to the block and then heave ho with the breaker bar again. Just be careful not to shear the bolt though!!! Soak well before with plusgas

HTH

Chris

the inlet valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the head if necessary.you need to buy or make tool to depress down the valve caps. put some rope into the cylinder & bring the piston up to hold the valve in

regarding the squeal from the clutch .it may not be the bearing.especially as you say it goes quiet when you press the clutch. (probably goes quiet if you just lightly touch the pedal as well ? ) its likely to be the face of the bearing where it touches the clutch cover fingers.this was the case on one of mine & a cure was effected by inserting a SMALL amount of grease or oil with a long thin strip of wood whilst holding the clutch fork rearwards