Chrome Bumpered Srb Hatch Auto

Mick

A couple of years ago Andy got a Manta SRB which belonged to an old mad who had died. The family wanted it to be saved so it was collected from Scotland back to Lincolnshire and repair work started. Time, children and other cars slowed down the progress until it stopped.

Now its restoration is happening again, I have it at my place now to help with the work and get it all sorted and get the welding done. It was on the Opel NEC Motorshow stand in 1978 and was bought at the show. He couldnt get it straight away as it was before the UK release date of the Hatch so he got it later on. It was registered on a Glasgow area T plate but the family kept the reg and its on one of the cars they own. It has a new T reg number now.

It has only done 30k miles and runs very very well. Its a silver Automatic with perfect unfaded blue velour interior due to seat covers being on since new :thumbup

It needs a pair of sills, a pair of arches, a pair of wings, the other jacking point and door post repairing. The front valance and headlamp surrounds are rough but I have replacements for all the panels execpt one sill. Its now stripped to a running shell, I actually drove it today for the first time, I suspect its the first time its done 40mph for a long time I have access to a long private road from my house biggrin.gif Brakes work, usual tight calipers but it all works. Autobox is a bit slow to engage but its been unused for several years so who can blame it, I expect with a fluid change and filter clean it will be ok.

I was issued a challenge from the wife on the previous Billing weekend that there is no real reason why this one cant be at Billing 2012 blink.gif So thats the plan, have this all finished painted and at Billing next year...*Edit....Didnt get done in time..

P30-07-11_13353.jpg

P30-07-11_1335.jpg

P30-07-11_13354.jpg

P30-07-11_13352.jpg

P30-07-11_13351.jpg

P30-07-11_1434.jpg

Edited by Mick

They are a Rare beast now... I even did the research about it being a Silver2 but it has no sunroof so isnt and Im glad it hasnt :D

Im really keen on doing it, for the first time I have a garage big enough to leave it on stands and be able to work on and around it.

The Silver 2 was only available as a coupe. Good to see work starting on this again, I want a drive when it's finished.

No problem having a Drive Steve... I thought the Silver 2 was a Hatch too, learnt something today :thumbup

Thanks Ben, im not far away if you fancy a trip over one day in yours for inspiration :thumbup

Edited by Mick

hi mick can you tell me wots happening to the spares that we where on about as you have not been in contact ive sent you pms etc and youvre not got back to me so ive put the listing on here ?

Superb mate.

The Chrome bumpered Hatchbacks were only made for a year or 2 (can't remember precisely) before they fitted the hideous black plastic bumpers in 1979 / 1980.

Had 2 silver B hatchbacks and both were absolute mint underneath quite surprised to hear that this has decayed as much as it has, also the blue interiors on these cars really did suit the Silver bodywork so well, and the fitting of boot trim, wheel arch carpet, and the speaker pod area at each side of the parcel shelf just added to an absolute quality Retro feel of these hatchbacks, look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Still miss the one I crashed to this day, also miss the Red B hatch that went off to Ireland too, wish to God I'd had the space to have kept that.

Cop, I have replied to you via PM..

I have looked in the Factfile and the Chrome bumpered hatches were only for 1 year...

Im hoping to get it sorted at a steady pace rather than it sit doing nothing like most things I do :blink:

Its not that bad underneath, the sills and arches would probably have been repairable but to do a good job its worth doing it all properly. Door posts are a bit crispy but not gone completely, its certainly not a rot box :thumbup

Edited by Mick

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I have been online, been busy with other projects and have moved house since getting this so its been left for a while.

I finished the Mk2 Cavalier SRi and thats on the road now, last few hours of welding on Grahams (Manta Modifier) Teabag Astra SXi for its MOT then the Manta is being moved from the corner to work on it again. I doubt it will be at Billing this year, maybe next but I should be there in mt Mk2 Cav...sorry :rolleyes:

Edited by Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I have dug this out from the back of the garage and started planning the attack on it. Think I will start at the front and work back...

The nose is good just the same old bits, valance/wing joint and the 'wing' bits on the edge of the front panel. I have new ones to weld in and a new valance. The jacking point and footwell on one side is done, the other needs a bit of work then its sills and rear arches... Paint, rebuilt and thats about it. Weekends work :D :D

• 1 month later...

I had a bit of a play with this today. Started at the front and work back so the headlamp panels and valance are getting done along with the inner wings just behind the headlamps.

I had a spare nosecone so cut the corners out I needed as the centre part was bent, turns out its already had a new front valance at some point as it wasnt spot welded as it should be.

P15-07-12_1657.jpg

P15-07-12_1727.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had a couple of days looking at this and poking holes...so pulled the welder out and had a good day today.

The passenger door post was rotten but the blue saloon I scrapped last year had good ones so I cut them out and reused it on this.

The usual side of the kick panel and part of the battery tray needed replacing, the top rail and corner of the scuttle were gone so were replaced.

The nose cone was rusty around the slots so cleaned it all back with a wire brush in the drill then zinc primered it for now, looks much better.

I thought I had a 'before' photo of the post but it seems not... oh well, here are a few from today.

Test fitting the replacement door post

P24-08-12_17111.jpg

Top corner repaired, scuttle and drain channel

P25-08-12_1847.jpg

All welding done up top, just the sill and inside corner to do

P25-08-12_2038.jpg

Other door post is already welded and seam sealed, few little bits to finish it properly

P25-08-12_1846.jpg

Nose is a bit cleaner now

P25-08-12_1856.jpg

Edited by Mick

Got a bit more done today, changed the passenger door, peeled the passenger side over sill off, quite bad inside as usual but needs doing. Seam sealed the passenger door post and painted it all in stonechip.

I also repaired the drivers side inner wing behind the headlamp and then fitted the new front corner, the whole front panel bit where the indicator fits. Will do the passenger side soon the the front valance can go on too.

P26-08-12_1828.jpg

P26-08-12_1839.jpg

Superb mate.

The Chrome bumpered Hatchbacks were only made for a year or 2 (can't remember precisely) before they fitted the hideous black plastic bumpers in 1979 / 1980.

Had 2 silver B hatchbacks and both were absolute mint underneath quite surprised to hear that this has decayed as much as it has, also the blue interiors on these cars really did suit the Silver bodywork so well, and the fitting of boot trim, wheel arch carpet, and the speaker pod area at each side of the parcel shelf just added to an absolute quality Retro feel of these hatchbacks, look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Still miss the one I crashed to this day, also miss the Red B hatch that went off to Ireland too, wish to God I'd had the space to have kept that.

"Hideous black plastic bumpers"....ouch! :o

• 5 months later...