Removing Front Springs On The A Series..

monzta

Hey guys. It has really been a long time since i fiddled around with the A series, so to save my self a bunch of time, and propably some bruises too i would like to know the correct way to remove the front springs on the A series car... Yeah i know its kind of a noob question, but i really can´t remember. I have removed the shock and i have dismounted the lower ball joint and the upper arm is free to move around now (with the brake disc etc attached).

The spring however is very stuck even after removing pressure from the lower arm, i have tried getting some spring clamps in there but that is almost impossible and i dont think i will be able to press the spring .... Do i need to dismount the coil over?

Have done it like a million times on the B series, but it is not the same...

With the lower arm loose the spring should be making a desperate bid for freedom.

I just put a jack under lower arm and released it slowly until spring just fell out. (with front of car jacked high enough so lower arm didnt hit ground)

That was after spneding ages on other side fiddle with spring compressors.

Edited by Shug

That´s exactly what i did with the B series, but its like this spring is 25% longer than it need to be ! It is really stuck and if i try to remove it with like a crowbar i am pretty sure i will need a trip to the emergency room afterwards :) I will try to press the lower and upper springsockets more away from each other using a small jack and see if that makes any diffrerence :)

Oh my f****** god ! I am gonna #¤%/#¤""#¤"#¤¤/)/%&%%%§§§§§!!!!angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

that thing is stuck ! And i think that they used a f****** Nasa Rocket tower to coil springs from. I have mounted a set of spring clamps and 4 coils touch each other and the spring is still just as stuck as before. I am so close to give them the knife with the angle grinder, only if i do i will have to coil missiles hopping around in the garage, and how my luck is going today, i´ll be bloody damned if one of them didnt give me a black eye or worse !

Why in god´s name did they use so long springs !?

Okay new tactics. I will try to dismount the anti roll bar to give the lower arm more room to move about on. Damn crap! I am going out of my mind here, theres like 80 degrees in the shade and a humidity of 2000% or something like that... Give me a blizzard any day and i´ll get stuff done, but working in this heat is unbelievable .... I wasn´t made for this weather, im a viking for pete´s sake wink.gif

Finally succes :) Had to loosen the anti roll bar, and then i had to cut the lower 2 coils on the spring (still with the spring clamps on holding 4 coils together) and that just gave me enough room to get the spring out using a crowbar !

Original springs are insanely long!

when doing mine i took the anti roll bar off altgethr and put it out of the way the spring just comes out then usually doing it the old way with a trolley jack. putting in is just the same. very fustrating :angry:

Fortunatly i will have it lowered below low ... so new springs will be easy to fit, and i will have the entire thing sandblasted and painted before putting it together again :) Needed to do this to make a muck up lowering of the car, wich has indeed payed off as i now know what parts i should be looking for during the winther :) More about this on my build thread later tonight with pics of that psyko of a spring rolleyes.gif

Yeah all of me is intact still (or at least it didnt get worse by doing this :) )

It is really a big job, and it is 1000 times harder when everything is old and rusty (the bolt on the top end of the shock broke off as i tried to undo it ! AND the bolt on the bottom ball joint needed to be cut!)

But thanks for your support maties :)