Manta 400 Turbo Project

mickappy

Just spent the past half an hour going through this thread, this looks really awesome, I can't believe how many projects are happening and the quality of work that goes into them. There's loads of 400 reps about so it's great how each one is different now, not too long ago all people did was have a white 400 kitted and decal'ed coupe with a standard red top in it, certainly nothing wrong with that but like seeing how all these new ideas have developed.

Just like the 'i240' hatch of yours, I like how it's got that great combination of a car that would not only wow people at modified and classic car shows, it would be as equally impressive on a track, not only looking the part but in performance too!

cheers rick, glad u like the thread. :)

it will be at billing this year and that scares me :()

its not a 30-40k pro build but a proper diy job and I know its gunna get pulled to bits by people ... but I love it. and it will evolve over the next few years.

• Like 1

cheers rick, glad u like the thread. :)

it will be at billing this year and that scares me :()

its not a 30-40k pro build but a proper diy job and I know its gunna get pulled to bits by people ... but I love it. and it will evolve over the next few years.

Don't do yourself an injustice mate you have done a cracking job and some of those so called pro builders out there are rip off merchants .

The manta looks fantastic and you did it all yourself and to all those folk who don't like just tell them to keep on walking by ..................... you'll probably find the most picky don't have a car on show <_<

Looking forward to billing again this year and seeing this in the flesh .

Well done bud a great build thread and a stunning car .

• Like 2

im afraid these pro restorers have raised the bar:-) the likes of retro power are just tooo good. but for us lot who like to get r hands dirty and treat it like a real hobbie its hard to keep up the standard as we usually run out of skill:-/.

mines only left the garage to have a custom exhaust made... everything else has been done under my garage roof. i really hope people like it:-()

anyway the garage that does my mot is opening up especially on sunday to set my brakes and mot it.. it will pass:-))))) i hope... and i can have my 1st blast around his carpark ..

• Like 2

yeah your right, the likes of Retropower have set the standard extremely high, but from what I can see you have risen to the challenge and proved that it can be done.

I look at what you and others have done (including retropower) - its absolutely inspirational.

I am no mechanic, panel beater or car painter, but do have the motivation and determination to give it a go and attempt to get to the standards set by yourself and others.

The cost of setting up and buying parts for a project such as this is huge and often underestimated, its probably fair to say its not a good investment but I also look at it as a hobby, all be it an expensive one.....

I wont take anything away from Retropower or the folks that commission them to do a project, these people are passionate enough to dig deep and spend the money and we all know quality is never cheap.

Not sure what your background is but its clear to me that you have the skills and ability and this shows in the stunning example you have created, I hope that when its finished it brings you all the joy and satisfaction you deserve.

I am sure you will receive lots of compliments and praise from others, the car is a real head turner and I would be very happy to have it sitting in my garage :-)

Edited by opelmantagsi
  • Like 2

Meh some people pay a lot of money to have cars modified to a high standard by workshops yet have dubious taste which in the end ruins the final product.

I love this and your previous hatch, infact I used to use your hatch as an example of a manta when trying to describe them to mates over here before I bought one, as it was the best example and closest to my tastes I could find :)

Infact infact I also had a young guy come over from UK about 5 years ago, his mum lived next door to me, turns out he was in the OMOC, and knew you!

Can't for the life of me remember his name, but took him for spin in my GTR and went go karting with him, think he may have had a purple manta with rover V8?

Anyway I digress :)

• Like 1