Manta 400 Turbo Project

mickappy

how strange is this, i am excited to see it done let alone you Mick haha

you can see me anytime mate:))

right been a bit mental this week. paint work coming along great now.

ive been busy building the front cross member and redoing the back axle.#

alls looking sexy:bc5f6710.jpg)

1dff79ba.jpg

calipers still wet.. springs going in when on car.

this is a rebuilt back axle with lsd, just giving it a lick off paint.

disc conversion, calipers still wet..

rear quarter after flattening and polish

9e4e766e.jpg

9e4e766e.jpg

Edited by mickappy

abit more of the jigsaw puzzle got delivered this morning from powder coaters

b78dd901.jpg

f308927a.jpg

shells painted now so its time to get it on its wheels. let rebuild commence :D :D :D :D

Just got my rear axle back from my Powdercoaters, after 12 months :o:D . Now got to fit polybushes and rebuild it.

Your car is coming along great Mick.....Keep up the fantastic work....... B)

good progress again the weekend, yesterday while i still have it on the spit i filled every nook n cranny with LOADS of wax oil. messy job but safe
from the rust worm for a while:)
today i did this

29ff0f35.jpg

09c0a1bb.jpg

8572ccb4.jpg

0efc89e3.jpg

48c07c89.jpg

front on next then its on the ground:)

Edited by mickappy

Hey mick, did you get the limited slip diff refurbished? I have one on my A series and have been thinking about getting it done at some point but wasn't too sure who to send it to? and what sort of cost it would be?

Andy

www.theopelproject.com

excellent mate- brilliant thread.

Just a note - I notice that you have hard copper brake lines plumbed straight to the rear calipers.

Over time with the caliper moving in and out slightly the copper pipe work harden and crack.

I would change to a braided pipe for some length of the pipe at least.

I have a friend who learned this the hard way :-(

Hey mick, did you get the limited slip diff refurbished? I have one on my A series and have been thinking about getting it done at some point but wasn't too sure who to send it to? and what sort of cost it would be?

Andy

www.theopelproject.com

it came all done mate. fully rebuilt. not sure who did it, i got it off kevin abbott.

excellent mate- brilliant thread.

Just a note - I notice that you have hard copper brake lines plumbed straight to the rear calipers.

Over time with the caliper moving in and out slightly the copper pipe work harden and crack.

I would change to a braided pipe for some length of the pipe at least.

I have a friend who learned this the hard way :-(

that supprises me. it must only move a few mm a year if that, im running the same on my hatch too,

I havnt even thought about how much the painting it is going to cost :-) Just spent a small fortune on some new pistons, cam and bits for the engine! And i have the exhaust system to make as well. I hope to have the last bit of welding done this week and then like you its onto the front suspension fit up, engine build and all the brake and fuel lines. Yours is starting to look good now you have some of the bits back on it. Hope the rest of it goes well and maybe we both might make it to a meeting in the cars :-)

Re. rear axles, If you replace ALL the bearings, the retainers, seals etc, and do a full setup then you are looking at somewhere around 400 quid typically.

I use Coventry Transmissions, funnily enough in Coventry, and that's what I usually end up paying.

The bearings are getting expensive now!

That price is assuming you've pulled the shafts out and generally cleaned the thing up first. You can easily spend an hour with the gas torch getting stuck halfshafts slide hammered out!

and thats b4 you add lsd and disc conversion :blink:

finally got it on its wheels... its sitting quite high with no weight in it. rolled it out off the garage for the
1st time since august.bc9d7222.jpg50d8e7c9.jpg

shame it was dark :(
next thing is to paint the rear arches and doors, car will be rolled out while this happens.
wheels look awesome in black with polished rim.. sooooo glad i resisted on the white now.

Edited by mickappy

It must be a good feeling to finaly wheel it out! Its looking nice :-) mine is still about 4 feet up in the air! and even after 2 day of welding and cutting i only got one chassis rail done :-(

I have completely refurbed the back axel, new bearing etc.. and pinion bearing and crush washed and its all setup, i just havnt done anything with the slip diff yet. Its on my last thing to do list as still have the engine to build! but luckily all the interia is all in, as looking at mick's there is a lot of work getting that all back in :-)

WOW that looks nice! mine is still in bits all around the garage :-) That should shift a bit ;-)

Im going the old CIH route but with full weber alpha injection and twin 45 throttle bodies, as use to run twin 45 carbs but got fed up with those.

Just caught up with your project Mick,it looks like it is coming along well and the LET looks great. It will be good to see it at Billing this year. It looks like from the last pic you were going to power the car with washing machine motors untill the LET came along :D