Mk2 Carlton 1.8

biffy1984

Hi guys,

I've been offered a B reg Carlton 1800 for spares. I'm wondering if the 1800 engine and gearbox is the same as the 1800 Manta. Also, will the sump be the same? What about the rear axle set up? Prob a different set up all together...

Thanks

Peter.

engine same, sump could e steel as some carltons have oil well at front. gearbox is getrag 240 in a b reg usually. that year they went from four linked with no torque tube to independant so could be either :) . get it anyway if its cheap :D

Thanks mate, it's been sitting in the grass since the early 90's so I can imagine it will be in some state by now. Just thought some bits might be useful for the Manta. Oh and yeah it will be cheap! :D

Going for a look at it tomorrow to see what kind of operation it will be to get it lifted out so will take a couple of pics (if I mind the camera!).

Cheers

Peter.

rear axle is 4 linked & pan rod on all carltons (mk1 & 2) up to 1986 (mk3)independant from then on as in senators,monza(albeit with better arms)if you buy this to restore check front inner wings thoroughly.if you buy it to break i may be interested in some bits!

Hmm, could be a good axle in the Manta? Oh but I have a LSD in my 1800 Manta axle... what LSD's can fit in the Carlton axle then?

No fear of doing this one up I'm afraid, you can see the inner wings without lifting the bonnet :lol:

Not sure whether or not i'm getting it yet but if I do I'll be keeping the engine, gearbox and axle, the rest will go to the dump. What kind of bits would be worth keeping?

carltonandjm001.jpg

carltonandjm004.jpg

carltonandjm003.jpg

carltonandjm008.jpg

carltonandjm005.jpg

carltonandjm006.jpg

carltonandjm002.jpg

What kind of bits would you be needing cam.in.head?

Cheers

Peter.

keep the 4inch block also it may come in handy one day. your diff should fit in the axle off carlton. the drive shafts are longer than your manta ones same width as a commodore, axle is ideal for a 400r manta.

Edited by rutts

• 2 months later...