Manta Meet In Sheffield Area On September 1St.

399Road

Hello all,

September's Manta meet is coming up on Thursday the 1st, and were meeting at the Toby Carvery at the top of Dronfield again. We've got quite a few " regulars " now with a good mix of cars and there's always plenty of Retro Opel in the car park too. Since last month's meet, Paul has been over to the Nurburgring in his Porsche 928 GT. He found a local 400 Group meeting out there and has took loads of pictures of these Mantas and Asconas. Paul's Porsche is a serious track day weapon and has been stripped out, caged and has had all the suspension geometry reset for track days. It's also got the widest staggered split rims I've seen for a while that make Manta 400 rear wheels look like space savers!

Darren's RWD Starlet is now running properly with its new Zetec engine. This month he's had another propshaft made as he wasn't happy with his other one and he's managed to get hold of a genuine Toyota Racing Developments, Limited Slip Differential. The Starlet's Diff is a front loading type so he's built it into a spare Diff and it's sat in my garage now, waiting for me to set it up for him. This LSD looks tiny when compared to a Manta one as it's only about two thirds of the size! He's also bought and adapted a RWD Zetec Exhaust manifold to replace his home made one. This has tidied up the engine bay and looks the part too. With around 160 Bhp and that new LSD fitted, the little Starlet's going to be a flyer....

I've been on with my Manta build again this month and I'll be taking advantage of the Bank Holiday weekend. I've been sorting out all the fuel, oil cooler and engine breather plumbing. I've bought one of these Varley Red top batteries to go in the boot so this then creates the problems of where to run the battery leads so the look tidy in my stripped out car. I've also got to work out where the Brake fluid reservoirs can go for my Bias pedal box. I've moved the screenwash bottle so I think they will have to go there. I'm still thinking about another set of wheels for the car to replace its 7x15 Compomotive ML's. I've seen a set of the newer type of Compomotive TH's in 8x15 and I'd have these in White, to match the car. I'd really like a set of the older TH's in a 7x15 but these are now obsolete from Compomotive. I prefer the look of the older wheels with the flat face to the newer dished ones for some strange reason. Anyway, I'll carry on wondering what to do with the wheels for a few more weeks before finally buying any.

I've been on the phone to Nick, a couple of times this month, and he's having a few problems with his A.series Manta. He's tried changing all sorts of bits and pieces of his ignition system and has decided to convert his car back to the old Points instead of Electronic ignition. Hopefully he'll get it sorted soon.

Rob is still running his Brown Ascona as his daily driver while he carries on with his 16 Valve A. series Manta. I don't know if he's done much to his cars in this last month as he's been restoring his old Claud Butler push bike that he had when he was a teenager. My dad had one of these Claud Butlers too, so it was a real blast from the past when I saw it completed. He's been travelling all over the place, buying up new old stock 1980s parts for the bike. Seeing these old bikes again made me get my old racing bikes out of the garage roof and ride them up the road, although as I'm now about 18 stone, I don't quite look at aerodynamic as I once was so I'll be giving the Lycra a miss!

Paul, from Doncaster, has been trying to sell his Immaculate Silver Hatchback recently. I saw it advertised on Ebay so I wonder if it's gone to a new home. He was selling this to fund his other 16 Valve Manta.

I've not seen Mick for a couple of months now as his work commitments prevented him from coming over to Dronfield. The spec of Micks Manta B changes daily, so I'm half expecting another set of wheels, even lower suspension and a 2.4 conversion the next time we see him. He's recently decided to break up his other car ( Murderer ) and concentrate on the red 1976 B.

I hope Ian, and his Orange B will make it across again although after recent comments by him on the Manta forum about chopping up a rare B. Hatchback and it providing usefull bit for the coupes, there may be some "handbags at dawn" in the Pub carpark with Paul, from Doncaster! ( Paul loves his Hatchbacks )

Anyway... We'll be at the Toby Carvery from about 7.30 pm till about 10.00. We're a friendly bunch so why not come over and watch Paul and Ian rolling round the carpark to settle the score on which is best Hatchback or Coupe? Fight, Fight, Fight...Luke.

Hi Luke, Yes mate i will be there but iv sadly not got the Silver Manta no longer she went to her new home in liverpool to become a young lads daily driver :( , he ant even got a gararge for her and come the winter god only nows :unsure: it upsets me to think about it, all that hard work!!!!!!!

But iv now got a new vehicle i will tell you about it on thursday some like them some hate them????? but i will be flying the hurse flag, im kuming in the mighty Omega again!!!!!

C U Thursday Sheff crew, Paul

Heyup Dudes

I'll be there unless they wave the overtime flag,, the old girl ( not r lass ) is booked in for it's new roof week after next at Tony archers in Wakefield only £80 if the glass is out which I thought was quite reasonable, then when tax runs out it's off the road for winter paint job,

Hi Luke, Yes mate i will be there but iv sadly not got the Silver Manta no longer she went to her new home in liverpool to become a young lads daily driver :( , he ant even got a gararge for her and come the winter god only nows :unsure: it upsets me to think about it, all that hard work!!!!!!!

But iv now got a new vehicle i will tell you about it on thursday some like them some hate them????? but i will be flying the hurse flag, im kuming in the mighty Omega again!!!!!

C U Thursday Sheff crew, Paul

Paul, I remember what car you were wanting last month and I'm hoping your new car has more than three wheels.... You haven't , have you? . Luke.

Heyup Dudes

I'll be there unless they wave the overtime flag,, the old girl ( not r lass ) is booked in for it's new roof week after next at Tony archers in Wakefield only £80 if the glass is out which I thought was quite reasonable, then when tax runs out it's off the road for winter paint job,

Mick, If Dill and Paul are waving the Chequred flag on the Dearne Bypass again, will this overule the Overtime flag? .Luke.

Paul, I remember what car you were wanting last month and I'm hoping your new car has more than three wheels.... You haven't , have you? . Luke.

Mick, If Dill and Paul are waving the Chequred flag on the Dearne Bypass again, will this overule the Overtime flag? .Luke.

You'll get me a bad name !!!! I drive within the law and to the road contains all the time........and yes it will overrule the o/t flag :-)

Hi no Luke its not a 3 wheeler that's next on my car list, lol

I totally forgot but im already booked for Thursday night so im going to miss the meet, SORRY :(

I have got mi sen a LWB 7 seater Pajero 2.8TD, WOW

Av fun tomoz night lads :thumbup