Uprated Alternator

Leon

Has anyone fitted an uprated alternator to a 1.8 before? I have quite a powerful stereo, extra lights and so on, and my (original) alternator is struggling to keep up.

I'm looking for a higher amperage unit to replace it with - would I be right in thinking any of the 1.8/2.0 OHC Vauxhall units will physically fit my existing engine? I'm prepared for minor differences like the terminals and pulley.

Yes most other alternators from the later 1.8/2.0 Ohc engines will fit some later ones will have a multi-v belt but the pulleys can normally be swapped around.

The cavalier sri engines have a 65Amp alternator normally, and i think the auto boxed versions with aircon have an even larger version.

We did find an 80 or 85amp one that i fitted on a manta a few years back but can't remember what that came off anymore :rolleyes:

You should look for high luxury cars. For a CIH a good alternator can be salvaged from Omega 3000 or Senator B (aircon, elec seats etc). So for a OHC engine i would look for a Vectra or Cavalier with alot of extra equipment like heated seats, aircon, powerwindows etc and you will propably find a alternator that is very powerful.

Dont know if the 16V alternators can fit, if they do you should look at the Omega B cars, they have alot of equipment!

Found plenty of 65 and 70 amp ones that look like they should physically fit - there are also the 100a jobbies from Vectras/16v Calibras etc but these are the more modern rounded shape. Pulleys aside, they look like they should fit but sod's law says I'll buy one and it won't fit the 8v motor!

it was the same pully fitting as the the manta one, it was just a old one i had lying around from a c20xe engine i bought off ebay.

so i cant be sure :(

edit after looking on ebay the early c20xe engine is the single pully type

Edited by garymanc

• 2 weeks later...