Manta 400 Project.

opelscott22

• 4 weeks later...

Im still plodding along with this. Im taking the headlining and all the rest of the bits off to getthe shell ready for blasting, then well see the horrors!!

At least Ill know if its going to make this year or not!

Has anyone got a spare passenger roof gutter trim? mine was glued on so it got bent removing it. I tried really hard not to damage it but sikaflex is strong stuff! I dont like to be beaten so it got screwed up into a little ball!!

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crazydave, Its easy to make a nice job of the legs, just takes lots of time...

I collected the shell from the blasters today, they have done a brilliant job. They blasted all the bits I asked, didnt distort anything and etch primed all the bare bits.

I havent taken any pics as it was snowing and wanted to get the shell in the shed.

if anyone is looking to get a shell blasted in Scotland I can definitely recommend Tobees blasting, they have done lots of shells and it shows!

Also, thanks to Colin for putting me onto them and helping unload the shell, top bloke!! :)

Now, all Ive got to do is figure out how Im going to get the shell up on the spit again...

Scott.

Edited by opelscott22
  • Like 1

Ive managed to get a whole weekend on this so Ive made a good bit of progress. The blasting didnt really reveal any nasties I wasnt aware of but there were a few surprises like really good A-posts!, but the boot floor looked like it had been shot with a shotgun... I managed to source another boot floor to replace my collander so that was the first job, along with the rusty bit on the rear panel seam. Took a wee while to get the panels mating neatly but after painting the join willbe invisible.

The blasting revealed a few small patches of rust which needed cutting out and there was a horrible patch on the inner bulkhead which got the chop.

The drivers side floor and leg are a mess on this shell, loads of MOT patches on top of each other, only thing for it....chop it out!!!

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! I fear I may have hit a snag though. the floor is a very complicated shape, Ive had a few goes now at making repairs to it look neat but I just cant get the shape right. My only option is to find a replacement panel. making a new leg isnt a problem but the profile of the floor is very difficult to get looking neat even if you do it in sections. So rather than make do and live with it Id rather make a neat job of it,

If anyone has this section to cut from a shell Id be eternally grateful!!

Can anybody help?

Retropower, your right about UPOL, expensive but great stuff!

Ive been at it agin today and Ive made some good progress. Ive made the floor in sections instead of one piece, keeps it more simple and the welds wont be visible once there buffed off.

Ive started on the new rail using the cross member as a template to get the bolt hole right.

Tomorrows job is to make the cover for the leg and fit the jacking point. Then its on to the rest of the floor and bulkhead.

The big scary hole isnt so scary now!

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Scott

• 2 months later...

Ive had the last week off work so Ive had a bit of time on this again. Ive finished all the welding and linished all the welds for insvisible repairs.

I bought some UPOL Raptor as it seems to be good stuff, never heard a bad thing about it. It went on really well but one thing I will say about it, the 4L kit is only just enough for the floorpan of a manta! I found myself trying to economise towards the end, visions of having to buy another kit just to finish off...

Im well impressed with the results though, the shell is as per original with no horrible MOT patches now!

I tried on the kit to see how the fit is. Its not too bad, once the rear quarters have been flattened out the arches will only need minimal work to fit, quite impressed really.

Now Ive finished with the welding, Ive got months of bodywork and no fingerprints to look forward to...yay!

Oh, and thats the old man hiding under the car holding up a wheel for inspiration!!

Scott.

_MG_0425.jpg

_MG_0426.jpg

_MG_0427.jpg

_MG_0428.jpg

_MG_0429.jpg

_MG_0431.jpg

_MG_0433.jpg

_MG_0433.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Cheers!, well Ive spend all day in the garage today trying to get the rear quarter straight, using a selection of long sanding blocks it goes....

skim of filler,

sand it off,

skim of filler,

sand it off

Repeat until you get shouted at for being in the garage all day....

Failed, still not straight!

Id like to say its therapeutic, but its the most infuriating thing in the world!

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Stevie, unless your very skilled and can get it right first time it just takes ages!!!

Ive got a few spare evenings this week so Im getting stuck into this again while Ive got the chance. Im still fitting the kit. Ive fiberglassed the kit flanges for a good fit, filled the ripples in the rear arch.

Ive modified the bottom rear corner of the arch to sit well against the quarter. Ive seen loads of 400 reps where this bit looks really untidy as you cant see it from the top but it would annoy me. Ive cut it and reglassed it to line up and glassed in a flange to bolt it to the quarter.

The passenger side of the kit is getting there, I cant do the front wings until its off the spit so its quarters and sills for now.

Scott.

IMG_03011.jpg

IMG_03021.jpg

IMG_03171.jpg

IMG_03151.jpg

IMG_03161.jpg

Ive had a bit more time on this today, managed to get the drivers side arch glassed up.

Its nearly there but I need to modify the same part as the other side. this side will be a bit more involve though as I need to slit the whole bottom part off and move it up a wee bit to line up with the quarter.

I cant just move the arch up as it pushes the crease out of line with the quarter ( if that makes any sense!!). I had to do a similar thing with the front of this arch as it really didnt line up with the end of the sill. I chopped it off completely and used matting and resin to stick it back together.

So thats tomorrows job. Its a bit scary cutting chunks out of an expensive kit but needs must!

Scott.

IMG_03191.jpg

IMG_03211.jpg