Manta 400 Project.

opelscott22

Thanks Mick. I had loads of people telling me these kits go straight on... we both know thats not the case!

Saying that though its all relative, its much better than some kits Ive seen. At least when the works done it will be good and fit properly.

Ill just need to take my time with the bodywork and resist the temptation to get to a stage and say "thats close enough" only to regret it later! Im determined to do as best a job I can with this...aiming high!

• 1 month later...

Well Ive been away with work for what seems like forever Im finally getting some Manta time. Ive been fitting the sideskirts, complete bugger of a job to get them straight!

Also got a complete front subframe from Kev as mine was pretty pitted when it came back from powdercoating. This one isnt nearly as rusty so seems like a better bet, thanks Kev!

Im hoping to have the axle on and on its wheels by next week so I can get cracking with the bodywork now the back arches are fitted properly, theyve been a real challenge to get right...

Scott.

• 2 months later...

Well seeing as my last post here was the 25th of june, its taken me a bit longer to get it on its wheels!

I havent taken any decent pics of the car but with all the work ive done now hidden its like starting again.

whats everyones opinion on bonding the rear arches on? Ive got them to a stage where I could bolt them with no gap but Im worried even a slight knock will move them, crack the paint or worse! Just starting to seem like a better idea to bond them on even just for the sake of strength...thoughts?

Ive had a good clearout in the garage, taken loads of stuff to the dump (pains me to bin anything car related!). Should give me a bit more space to do bodywork without having the car outside as it rains too much here when Im off work!

Ive got a bit of time off coming up so that should see some progress. Once the spare bedroom is plastered and painted though......

Scott.

Ive got a few tubes of black PU in the shed, Ill use that and see how it goes, thanks for the tip!

Ive had a good clearout in the garage, even sold my lathe (Im going to regret that!!) took up so much space!

Its starting to get cold here so I might have missed the boat for painting this year...

Scott.

painting will be more risky, but its still possible when its cold, as long as you can keep it over 10 degrees. You have to check paint viscosity properly, (this is assuming its 2k) as thinners requirement will go up, and get the car and the paint up to a similar temperature. In terms of cure, there are plenty of hardeners which work fine at 10 deg c (we use upol)

Main thing you are fighting at low temps is damp. As long as its dry, you're ok, though getting good finish is harder.

We generally don't use heat. We're never in a hurry to get a car out of the booth, so it can sit and cure for a few days if needs be. As I said though, its easier when its warm, less variables to juggle!!

Thanks for the help, Ive had issues with blooming when using celly in the cold. I wasnt sure how 2K would be as Ive only ever painted in the summer.

Ive got an air fed mask to use so Ill be fine with 2K.

Im down at Leuchars airshow this weekend but Ive got nearly 2 whole weeks of pure manta time so ill update whenever theres anything photo worthy.

Ive got 5L of polar white and 5L of high build primer (UPOL stuff), so the paints there, just the small task of doing all the bodywork first....

I'd buy a bit more paint, if you are doing inside, boot, engine bay and outside you'll need 7.5 litres for sure. We don't paint much 2k colour we mainly use solvent basecoat and 2k laquer, but we've just painted a subaru rally car (with roll cage etc etc which eats paint) and that's used 11litres of basecoat and we'll need another litre yet. (which at 30 odd quid a litre makes the materials bill creep a bit!)

Edited by Retro Power
  • Like 1

I'd buy a bit more paint, if you are doing inside, boot, engine bay and outside you'll need 7.5 litres for sure. We don't paint much 2k colour we mainly use solvent basecoat and 2k laquer, but we've just painted a subaru rally car (with roll cage etc etc which eats paint) and that's used 11litres of basecoat and we'll need another litre yet. (which at 30 odd quid a litre makes the materials bill creep a bit!)

thats good to know, been thinking about this myself, I will need to change my plans and order more when I get ready to buy the paint

Edited by opelmantagsi

sidetracking back to rivnuts, we pretty much always use plated steel ones, with the serrated barrels, in non-countersunk, THIN flanged type. The standard flanges do space things off by a tad too much for my liking.

There's a great seller on ebay in the uk doing a good deal: we use a LOT of these m6 ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-Steel-Rivet-Nuts-Rivnuts-Nutserts-25-Pack-/150896213636?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item68ccde1b1a

you can select ultra low profile in the listing, this gives a 0.6mm head flange thickness

We have an Eclipse hand riveter type rivnut tool which technically does up to m8 but m6 is pretty hard on the hands. We also have a Wurth tool (that was on a great offer a while back) that does rivnuts up to M12 and Riv-studs up to M12 too, it ratchets so can use it in a small space, and its so powerful that even M10 ones go in really easily. Its great for setting roll cage multipoint threads and foot mountings!

Ive been busy over the last while, got all the insides prepped for paint. Takes ages!!

Ive painted the engine bay, Im happy with the result in my dusty garage, theres no runs and the finish is smooth so Im chuffed to bits!

Just the rest of the inside to do, really nice to have some paint on the car though.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah Im sorry I missed you earlier Colin, sods law eh? out with the dog for half an hour....Hope your leg is better soon!

Thanks for the comments! Im pleased with how its turning out, hoping for another day at painting tomorrow then Im off to Jersey for work unfortunately so Manta time is over for a wee while...

Scott.

• 2 months later...

I havent been near this for a good while now due to work. Im sending the car out to get painted, I just dont have the time to get this done before next summer.

Cant go another summer without a toy!

Ive got a few jobs Id like to do before it goes to paint. I need to sort a heater arrangement, steering column brackets and get the kit straight before it goes.

Free beer at Billing for anyone who can guess what this will be...

Scott.

IMG_0354-1_zps1324e127.jpg

Correct!

I hope you dont mind Derek but Ive stolen your idea, means I can have a nice clean engine bay.

I have been looking back at the start of your thread and it seems your heater has the round adapters on both ends, did you buy an extra one?

Davo, I like your style! Im hoping for a sunny Billing next year, My first one didnt go too well this year.

No pics of progress today Im afraid, christmas shopping has been done though. ( Ill be glad when its over, bah humbug!)

Scott.

Edited by opelscott22
  • Like 1

Thats brilliant mate, You made a nice job of that and I am happy to think the idea was used back home.

my effort looks a bit more agricultural than yours so you have taken the idea to another level there - well done

Yes I had to buy an additional adapter and will join using silicone hose with clamps.

keep the pics coming!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, its been a wee while since Ive been able to have any garage time. Managed to get a bit done this weekend though.

Ive built up the engine, had to swap the block out as I found a crack in a water jacket, never seen that before on an XE? The bottom end is early forged pistons, shot peened rods, lightened and balanced crank (balanced with light flywheel and the clutch pressure plate). ARP's fitted to the big ends and the flywheel.

The head is standard spec, pressure tested and cleaned then put together with new valves.

The throttle bodies Ive had for a while, Im using MBE management but Ill need to make a new loom as the one I have is for a FWD car...

The gearbox has been in bits, Im glad I did as I found a few worn bits (replaced with servicable parts from a GTE box) then replaced the seals. Ive wirelocked the case bolts as Ive had these come loose before, not very clever...

The car is away getting painted, I got the shell prepped and then dropped it off at Leven coachworks.

Ive never had a car painted by somebody else before, Im nervous!!

Ive also got a better heater for the garage as Ive got bored of being gassed by a space heater. Its an ex MOD tent heater, can run on any liquid fuel and has a flue so no more gassings for me!

Im having trouble sealing the flue where it goes through the roof though, its only single wall flue and it melts normal flashing material.....any ideas?

Scott.

IMG_04061_zpse7c9f59f.jpg

IMG_04071_zps41dc5119.jpg

IMG_04081_zps253b02fc.jpg

• Like 1