Fitting An Oil Catch Tank To The Cih

Thomas77GR

Hi guys

has anyone fitted one to his manta? I run a 2.0 s CIH engine and I've seen these on ebay.. are they really necessary? how do they fit? I'm using a mini K&N style filter for the engine cover at the moment but I find regularly oil overspill on the cover and I was just thinking of alternatives.. these tanks have two ports (inlet and outlet) any advice is appreciated..

thanks

Hi guys

has anyone fitted one to his manta? I run a 2.0 s CIH engine and I've seen these on ebay.. are they really necessary? how do they fit? I'm using a mini K&N style filter for the engine cover at the moment but I find regularly oil overspill on the cover and I was just thinking of alternatives.. these tanks have two ports (inlet and outlet) any advice is appreciated..

thanks

There are several alternatives. An oil catch tank as you mention is a possibility sure. Another possibility is to fit the original catch tank / canister from a polo mk2 and then add a oil breather flter on top of this. This allow oil spill to return to the engine, and the exess air pressure to be realesed to the open air.

I would say though that if you have high pressure air / oilsteam coming from the valvecover this could indicate worn piston rings !

Hi, the oil droplets on my engine cover I think are probably from overfilling a touch after doing an oil change. I hope it's not worn piston rings!! <_<

Yeah overfilling it will also get you that result tongue.gif

By the way, way back some 10 years ago me and my brother had seen a Rekord 2,2i in the classifieds for like 200£ or something. So we went to collect it. The guy told us that his young son had borrowed the car, with instructions to check the oil. The young bloke (knowing nothing about cars) then went and bought oil. He took off the cap and looked down in the engine and began to "fill it up". And he had kept going untill he could see oil standing in the valvecover (like with water in the water tank). The car couldn+t drive, and a quick look at the spark plugs told us why. It had been running on oil ever since. The spark plugs where covered with black choal or something.

Now the guy selling it where selling it as a non-running car and he couldnt start it up. We cleaned the plugs, emptied the air filter box for aprox 1,5 litres of oil, and then fired it up. It didn´t run good but it could drive :)

The engine still runs today actally well oiled biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif