Fuel Vaporisation Systems

Thomas77GR

I've been doing some reading on the merits of such systems (Vs standard carburation systems) and I have got myself excited as there are examples of diy mechanics out there who have experimented with such systems and report great results.. There are various patents but I was curious if anyone here has tried such a modification (to me it sounds like the best thing one can do to an old car - the gain in efficiency and fuel economy are making the above worth pursuing!)

While I am trying to get my head around this.. I imagine that a fuel vapourisation system would involve the following:

connecting the fuel pipe from an electric fuel pump outlet ('in line fuel pump') to a small stainless steel tank fitted in the engine bay (fixed on a bracket somewhere) which contains an ultrasonic transducer device modified for use with petrol ..This ultrasonic transducer device would need to be wired to something (how? I'm not sure) - There should also be a type of float within this small tank to regulate the inflow of petrol from the pump..(any suggestions?) The tank should also have a small vent out and away from the hot engine..

The vapourised fuel from the small tank would go through a copper tube wrapped with trace heating element (from a switched live) - other suggestions is that the heating to this tube would be from recirculation of exhaust gases or hot coolant) and into the intake manifold via a venturi type nozzle (or can it go into the carburettor??)

I don't know - anyone who's looked into the above and understand this better??

You haven't said what the favourable results are. Therefore no idea what it is trying to achieve.

That said, if it is supposed to improve MPG, if it really is cost effective the large motor manufacturers would have already done is as higher MPG is a selling point and they have the money to invest in development.

All this is essentially doing as described is adding an amount of fuel vapour proportionate to the amount of air flowing past the venturi.

The mixture screw would have a more accurate way of doing this already.

Sounds like the best thing you can do is convert to SU

wrong! the large motor manufacturers work with the oil industry and have buried such ideas.. look up the case of Tom Ogle (pioneer of the fuel vapourisation system).. and that of Stan Meyer (the guy who ran his car off plain water) and you'll get an idea of ethics in this industry..

this idea is based on the pure principle that vapourised fuel burns a lot more efficient than in traditional carburetted systems.. it requires modification and certainly fine tuning.. anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard or tried something along this line..

thanks for the reply anyway

Sounds very much like the way my Pierburg carburettor on my Mk1 Derby is put together. I´m not joking here. This car will do 16km pr litre of fuel at 4500-5000rpm @ 110km/h on the freeway.

The carburettor is made so that there is a transducer plugged in to the carb (simple + and - power supply) around the venturi. Also the swimmer housing is fitted with a fuel return mechanism so that excess fuel will not be halted but simply sent back into the fuel tank. Also the entire manifold is built inside a "heat chamber" that is connected to the cooling fluids of the car, so the intake manifold will at all times be the same temperature as the cooling water.

Look. I have been reading up alot on this stuff as well but as said, its the oil companies that decide this stuff. It always has been. Did you know that the very first Ford cars ran on 100% Ethanol ? And that Henry Ford was payed off by the oil companies to make gasoline powered engines instead so they could sell fuel ? Back then even (100 years ago) they new that Ethanol was a better fuel...

If you really want to experiment with something, try to make your car run on E85 fuel og even E100. That is possible using the right spark plugs and advanced timing on the ignition. Also bigger injectors should be fitted as a Ethanol powered car wont get that much MPG as a Gasoline powered car, but the win is a zero emmission exhaust, and a very cheap fuel that in actuallity can be produced at home using water and sugar..

If you want to do more reading of alternative cars, what about the 1990´s steam powered Skoda Felicia ? It had a plastic engine, lube free, and no exhaust. It needed 40 seconds of heating time to boil the water, and in that time you ran on compressed air that accumulated again while driving on steam. Test pilots reported that the small 800cc 3 cylinder engine had the same "feel" to it as a high power Diesel and it put out an amazin 180bhp and over 300nm´s of torque. Now the VW department of research is making water boilers for home appliances, and the excuse back then not to put it into production was quoted "we don´t feel that the world is ready for a steam powered car".... Nice!

Now i am no hippie, and i am not a member of green-peace but i would absolutely love to go out and fire up a 300hp Manta V8 running on pure Ethanol !

Heck.......

And here was me thinking that there had to be a correct Air/Fuel ratio.

Never for one minute did I realise we could simply reduce the amount of fuel going into the cylinders by using a bit of vapourised fuel instead, and thereby saving petrol.

I bet that this would work EVEN BETTER on a supercharged or a Turbo'd car :lol: :lol: :lol:

pink pink BANG!