Bosch Starter Bracket Wanted

Brown Job

Anyone got a starter bracket for a Bosch Starter for the CIH engine?

My Delco starter expired and I put a spare Bosch one on that I happended to have been hoarding for 15 years (off an Ascona "B"). Couldn't understand why the bracket wouldn't reach to go on the front end of the starter. Measured them and the Delco starter is about 1" longer than the Bosch. GM simply used two types of front bracket to secure the front end of the starter. The Delco bracket has a 2" angle onto the engine, the Bosch one has a 3" angle (in round figures).

So, anyone got a Bosch-style bracket? Have looked at loads of Cavaliers but they all seem to be Delco, maybe the Bosch was more common on German motors?

BJ

Edited by Brown Job

Don't think I've got a spare bracket sorry, but I can tell you that I've run plenty of these cars for thousands of miles without one and never had any problems!

I McAlpenised the Delco bracket to go on, so I'm not without a bracket, but thanks for the info. What's it for if it don't do nuffin?

BJ

I have a CIH starter with bracket in the garage, will check which type it is and let you know.

Thanks Jason.

BJ

I McAlpenised the Delco bracket to go on, so I'm not without a bracket, but thanks for the info. What's it for if it don't do nuffin?

BJ

Honestly don't know, I've had a few which have never had that bracket on them. They seem to be held well enough by the two bolts through into the block where it meets the bellhousing, I've never worried about the bracket and it's never caused a problem!

Honestly don't know, I've had a few which have never had that bracket on them. They seem to be held well enough by the two bolts through into the block where it meets the bellhousing, I've never worried about the bracket and it's never caused a problem!

Had a think about it and I can only think of 2 reasons: either it's providing additional earthing, or it's intended to help reduce general vibration and potential loosening of the 2 main bolts onto the bellhosing during the "extreme force" times when the starter is turning the engine. For sure, if the big bellhousing bolts gave way, those two pathetic little studs onto the starter front wouldn't hold it on!

BJ