A Series Rebuild.

dvdman69

I love them when they're like this :D Auto too how many of those are left i wonder :) Brilliant project :thumbup

Me too, i think it´s because it is one of the only cars in the world where you can see loads and loads of potential no matter how dirty or how bad a shape they are in thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

That's a bit greedy isn't it? You've already gone one!!:lol:

I don't know what plans you have for your sunroof but if you want it restored, I can recommend a chap named Peter Harvey, he's based in Sandwich, Kent, Tel.No. 01304 614412, he's a real expert, the roof on my old Commodore 'B' was a Britax version but he completely overhauled and recoved that for me, it was perfect afterwards!!:)

I'm not in any way connected with Peter although I do live in Kent, might be worth a chat, he's very helpful?

Cheers,

Alf.

That's a bit greedy isn't it? You've already gone one!!:lol:

I don't know what plans you have for your sunroof but if you want it restored, I can recommend a chap named Peter Harvey, he's based in Sandwich, Kent, Tel.No. 01304 614412, he's a real expert, the roof on my old Commodore 'B' was a Britax version but he completely overhauled and recoved that for me, it was perfect afterwards!!:)

I'm not in any way connected with Peter although I do live in Kent, might be worth a chat, he's very helpful?

Cheers,

Alf.

I like the fact that both the number plates are similar to each other, and both tax free BONUS!

I like the fact that both the number plates are similar to each other, and both tax free BONUS!

Thats the part that sold me on a rebuild instead of scrap it. Had quite a few in my lifetime but they have all been donors for my longstanding love, but to have sisters is a dream.

Looks like its gonna be an all black colour scheme, Matt black according to my son.

Edited by dvdman69

Thats the part that sold me on a rebuild instead of scrap it. Had quite a few in my lifetime but they have all been donors for my longstanding love, but to have sisters is a dream.

Looks like its gonna be an all black colour scheme, Matt black according to my son.

I've just done my one all black and it looks great, keep posting pics.

Ray.

Stage 2. Removal of the powerplant. Its a real sweet runner considering its been standing for years. Waterpumps shot and a leaky core plug means it drinks like a fish. Im going to strip it decoke and grind the valves in then do a nice red enamel paint job on it.

2011-10-08183231.jpg

2011-10-08183223.jpg

So far we have removed the engine and gearbox, broken the engine down and amazingly its had a recent rebuild (well recent in so far as its not done much work since) and 1mm overbore, done so few hours that the carbon deposits could be rubbed off with a finger. Started plating the floor on the passenger side too. will post some picts soon.

• 2 weeks later...

had a busy few week now, here are some before and after piccys of the floor.

2011-10-10201041.jpg

Passenger side footwell.

2011-10-10201110.jpg

From inside the wheelarch.

2011-1.jpg

Wheelarch after some attention.

2011-2.jpg

started sprucing up the Front suspension.

2011-3.jpg

Passenger side footwell after some patching, not a brill picture sorry.

2011-4.jpg

you can prob guess where this is.

2011-5.jpg

Sills are rock solid on both sides which is a good thing.

Edited by dvdman69

Had a productive few weeks now, Nearside is pretty much sorted now, some Critique please on the work done, any comment welcome.

Freshly welded on.

2011-6.jpg

2011-5-1.jpg

2011-4-1.jpg

2011-3-1.jpg

2011-2-1.jpg

Finished off with some grinding and redoxide

2011-12.jpg

2011-11.jpg

2011-10.jpg

2011-9.jpg

2011-7.jpg

2011-10-30134337.jpg

2011-15.jpg

Oh, and you can probably tell the Chassis rail and Jack point are home made.

Edited by dvdman69

Driver side today, not as bad as the chassis leg has already been replaced, but holes just the same.

2011-21.jpg

2011-11-1.jpg

One plate already fitted, doing this as a split panel, easier to shape.

2011-41.jpg

Yes Rayman, the red oxide is deff runnier now than it was some 20 years back, I apply a thinned down wash right after the jobs done, then when its dry brush on some Waxoil, then when that's dry its ready for the stonechip. when all the welding's done I fill the chassis rails and box sections with waste oil and let it run through the holes. keeps the metal nice and rust free.

Edited by dvdman69

Nice to see panels being made the old fashion way (hammer and vice).Mine is the same looks like a patchwork quilt.Have you noticed red oxide is not the same as it used to be.Great job mate :thumbup

I still swear by red oxide though, forget all that new fangled stuff :thumbup

Got the driver side floor all in, some work was needed on a job done some years back to make it good, also spruced up the front axle, and sprayed the nearside with stonechip.

2011-32.jpg

2011-23.jpg

2011-62.jpg

2011-51.jpg

2011-42.jpg

near side now stone chipped, next its underbody sealant.

2011-61.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the picts, its a phone camera. Must get My 10mega pix camera back for some decent piccys.

• 1 month later...

Been busy these past weeks, Repaired the bad spots with some plating and filler, and fitted the replacement rear valence I had made up.

here's one of the rear corners after welding a plate where there once was a hole.

2011-11-13122101.jpg

Here's the rear valence before (with 2 door bottoms)

IMG_20111210_142031.jpg

And here welded onto the car, Plenty of grinding and filling to be done to get it right.

IMG_20111213_203258.jpg

IMG_20111213_203206.jpg

IMG_20111213_203141.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rear valence in all sorted, fuel tank and rear axle all cleaned and painted, then used all new stainless bolts to attach them, will get some picts when the weathers decent enough to give me light. Been doing the roof where the vinyl covering had ruined it. cut out the rust holes and welded new plates in, some of the shapes are a bit fiddly, but some fettling with a rubber mallet gives me a good base to work from2012-2.jpg

C pillar just above the boot, window edge had to go too.

2012-1.jpg

Window edge welded in place.

2012-4.jpg

And final plate, its quite thick steel about a mill and a half, but easy to manipulate. just filled and rubbed it down, and its looking good.