2.0Cih Injected Ignition Timing

alanf_uk2002

Hi folks,

I am trying to get my 87' Exclusive coupe ready for a trip to one of your meets and would like to check the ignition timing as it seems a bit sluggish. I haven't got a Haynes (yet) so would someone be able to advise the timing please?

Also does anyone know a rough time for changing the rear gearbox seal? Mine's shot and would like an idea of how big a job this is.

Thanks

Alan

Gearbox seal should be an easy enough job. 20 minutes to take the propshaft off from the axle flange (remember you'll have to turn it to get at all the nuts so the car will need to be jacked up and on axle stands with the back wheels free to turn), a few minutes to get the old seal out and a couple of minutes to knock the new seal in with an appropriately sized socket. As the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal :thumbup

As for the timing, if you've got a timing strobe light then my Dad and uncle always found it was best to advance the timing slightly (when running on unleaded) so the mark on the crankshaft pulley is a few degrees clockwise of the mark on the engine front cover as you look at the engine from the front. If you haven't got a light, then just slacken the distributor and play about until it sounds best.

Gearbox seal should be an easy enough job. 20 minutes to take the propshaft off from the axle flange (remember you'll have to turn it to get at all the nuts so the car will need to be jacked up and on axle stands with the back wheels free to turn), a few minutes to get the old seal out and a couple of minutes to knock the new seal in with an appropriately sized socket. As the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal :thumbup

As for the timing, if you've got a timing strobe light then my Dad and uncle always found it was best to advance the timing slightly (when running on unleaded) so the mark on the crankshaft pulley is a few degrees clockwise of the mark on the engine front cover as you look at the engine from the front. If you haven't got a light, then just slacken the distributor and play about until it sounds best.

I´d like to add that regarding the ignition timing i usually loosen the distributer put it on the marks and fire up the car. Then i turn the distributer clockwise until the rpm sits at around 800-900 rpm or until i get a nice "plopping" sound from the exhaust. This is easy to hear if you have a jetex or similar sport exhaust on the car thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the response guys. Seal has now been changed :)

Not sure I'm going to be able to get the adjustment I'm looking for by listening to the exhaust; it runs fine but is lacking slightly and I have experienced this before when the timing is too far retarded. It only needs to be a fraction out and the difference will be noticeable. I'll have to get my hands on a Haynes!

Cheers

Alan

the standard timing setting is for when using high octane unleaded or the original 4 star. if using normal 95 unleaded you need to RETARD the ign slightly until any signs of pinking stops.this will depend to some extent on how much carbon build up there is in the engine & wether or not its had a skim.vauxhall reccomend 5 deg retard as a matter of course on an injected engine

Thanks for the response guys. Seal has now been changed :)

Not sure I'm going to be able to get the adjustment I'm looking for by listening to the exhaust; it runs fine but is lacking slightly and I have experienced this before when the timing is too far retarded. It only needs to be a fraction out and the difference will be noticeable. I'll have to get my hands on a Haynes!

Cheers

Alan

Was told a good way to set up you timing. Listen to the engine as your cranking over the motor, if the starter sounds like its struggling adjust until it spins over freely while cranking. If its struggling then its firing too early.

Take it for a run find a good incline and drive up in 4th foot to the boards, if its set right you should just about hear it start to pink.

Last time i did it this way i was within 1/2 a degree, rolling road guy checked with a strobe.

Don't always set to the exact figures as all engines are different, set it so your engine is happy :thumbup

Chris