Cylinder Head/block Needed

SENNA1

Good morning guys,

i'm in need of a new or used cylinder head/block for my Cavalier mk1.I currently have the manta B 2.0S engine with twin webers.

Any ideas where i could find one?

Many thanks to all :)

Might be able to help with the head and block.

I am digging some stuff out to sell but someone has first refusal on certain bits. These are 1.9 ported head and wasted stem valves, 1.9 block with 95.5 pistons, l+b. May have a 2.0 block (needs a rebore or re sleeve)and i do have 2.0/2.2 heads and a 2.4 head knocking around.

Cheers

Chris

Yes the 1,9 head is a direct swap.

So,it would be better to try this first.(check if it's not cracked e.t.c.)

Is it the same part number also?

Might be able to help with the head and block.

I am digging some stuff out to sell but someone has first refusal on certain bits. These are 1.9 ported head and wasted stem valves, 1.9 block with 95.5 pistons, l+b. May have a 2.0 block (needs a rebore or re sleeve)and i do have 2.0/2.2 heads and a 2.4 head knocking around.

Cheers

Chris

If i don't make it with the 1.9 head,what would be the total price(including p&p to Cyprus)for a 2.0 head?

Edited by SENNA1

My existing cyl. head cannot be repaired :angry:

So,is it possible to replace my 2.0S cylinder head with a 2.2 one(I may have this choice)?:unsure:

Senna

Yes you can but the inlet ports are in a different position so a mod to the inlet manifold is needed to reposition correctly. Not too hard.

The comp ratio may drop a touch but you will have a head that flows alot more air, basically a std 2.2 flows about as much as a ported 2.0 with big valves. Valve sizes are 45 in 40 ex.

You will also need to mod the thermostat housing as it is a different mounting, seen this done with an adaptor plate. Cam from your 2.0 should fit fine.

You shouldn't have any problems with valve/piston contact as the 2.2 pistons are also flat topped, you will prob need to get the carb set up again and prob re jetted.

Also make sure you use the 2.0 head bolts as the 2.2 torx type are stretch bolts.

HTH

Chris

Edited by lamchop77

Senna

Yes you can but the inlet ports are in a different position so a mod to the inlet manifold is needed to reposition correctly. Not too hard.

The comp ratio may drop a touch but you will have a head that flows alot more air, basically a std 2.2 flows about as much as a ported 2.0 with big valves. Valve sizes are 45 in 40 ex.

You will also need to mod the thermostat housing as it is a different mounting, seen this done with an adaptor plate. Cam from your 2.0 should fit fine.

You shouldn't have any problems with valve/piston contact as the 2.2 pistons are also flat topped, you will prob need to get the carb set up again and prob re jetted.

Also make sure you use the 2.0 head bolts as the 2.2 torx type are stretch bolts.

HTH

Chris

Just to add a bit more info here on the 2,2 head.

The 2,2 head would be the ideal choice, as stated, it flows like a tuned and ported 2,0 head. Only thing is that your compression ratio will drop just a tad. Not a problem as overall you will gain power.

The 2,0 cam should be fitted in the 2,2 head. The 2,2 is per definition very choked down as the engine was ment to be a cruiser engine with alot of torque but no high end power. One of the ways they choked the 2,2 was with the inlet manifold and the camshaft and compression ratio. Camshaft and intake is the parts that should be attended to.

Regarding the intake you must be very precise when you do the modification. If you are running fuel injection you can gain another 10-12 hp by taking a 3,0E intake manifold and throttle body and cut the last two cylinders from the manifold. Then you simply get the hole welded up. The "new" 4 cyl manifold is a direct fit on the 2,2 head, but flows alot better, and most importantly has got a very large throttle body that will gain you some power. You simply just mount your jets and electronics on the new manifold.

If you are running carb, i will strongly suggest a set of twin webers or dellorto´s, but intake manifolds are expensive and as stated above must be for the 2,2 / 2,4 head.

Your thermostate housing can be very easily modified if you have access to someone who can weld aluminium. Here is how i did it on my Monza when i made a carb mod on the C30NE engine. I simply had the two bottom intakes cut off and welded up, then its a perfect fit for a carbed engine.

619116_l.jpg

619115_l.jpg

Basically it will need a little fiddling to get a 2,2 head running but as said you will gain power. Using the 2,0E camshaft, and maybe a set of 40mm sidedraft carbs, you are looking at 140-50 hp. A stock 2,2 engine will get 140 when fitted with sidedraft carbs alone thumbsup.gif

Thanks you both guys & sorry for the delay :)

A friend has found from Greece the following for me........2.2S Cylinder head+Inlet & exhaust valves+exhaust manifold+two double inlets for my 45 webers.

A camshaft is also included but i prefer to fit my own fast road Kent cam kit.(It fits directly as you said previously).

So,if all the above is ok from you(which i'm expecting your answer of course :) ),the assuming horse power will be around 140-150.

Thanks again & i'm waiting the 'ok' from you guys :rolleyes:

You sure it isn´t a 2,2E head ? 2,2S has never been made ?

Anyways, yes it sounds like a good setup but be sure not to use bigger venturi´s on the Webers than 38mm as max, 36 will propably give you a even better flow?

Sounds like a very good setup, Depending on the camshaft and adjusting of the webers i will say definatly 150hpthumbsup.gif

You sure it isn´t a 2,2E head ? 2,2S has never been made ?

Anyways, yes it sounds like a good setup but be sure not to use bigger venturi´s on the Webers than 38mm as max, 36 will propably give you a even better flow?

Sounds like a very good setup, Depending on the camshaft and adjusting of the webers i will say definatly 150hpthumbsup.gif

Well,as you said it may be a 2.2E head :unsure:

My existing twin webers are 45.Hope that will do............... well?

Edited by SENNA1

Well,as you said it may be a 2.2E head :unsure:

My existing twin webers are 45.Hope that will do............... well?

My 2.2 engine had approx 180bhp running 48's, a 244 kent cam but with a 2.0 big valve head. My carbs had 40mm chokes. The bottom end was std pistons, rods, etc and even ran a std cast manifold so i think 150 is a pretty good bet.

I'm pretty confident that the 45's will be fine.

Cheers

Chris

45´s will be perfect and with 36-38mm venturis they will run great. 40 Venturis are for 2,2 litre engine the perfect choice. Venturi size is found by knowing aproximatly how much suction is in each cylinder, but you would normally say 36-38 for a engine with 500cc per cylinder thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Parts just arrived from Greece finally............

New thermostat housing to be fitted, new twin inlet manifolds & 2.2 cylinder head with inlet & exhaust valves.Also,the exhaust manifold of the 2.2 which

i cannot see the reason why not to fit my own exhaust manifold which is already a 4-2-1 exhaust(octopus).

Same KENT performance camshaft kit (OP214K) to be fitted.

Edited by SENNA1

As long as you are in the process of fixing up your 2,2 head i would suggest fitting 46/41 valves from a c30ne engine while you are at it, get the new valves worked over to improve flow further and you will have a head that flows at its absolute maximum :)

Guys this is a bit urgent for me as i cannot continue my engine recondition....

I'm in need of a set of piston rings and i cannot find anything in this country :angry:

My pistons are oversized and the piston rings size i need is 95.50 diameter and the thickness of the 3 rings is 2,2, and 4.

Where can check to find something???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SENNA1