Roof Rot

RetroRob

Hi the roof on my manta has rot around the sunroof..i want to keep the car as standard as possible and dont want to change the sunroof to a glass one. What are my options have the whole roof replaced or some guy told me the rot could be cut out and be lead welded???.anyone know of any good classic car restorers in Northamptonshire/ Midlands area.

cheers Rob

Plenty of stuff about fitting different roofs to mantas in the site.

Some may be in members area though

I put a calibra sunroof in my hatch, steel and electric

Here...http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/11226-mancona-hatch/page__st__20__p__129417__hl__calibra__fromsearch__1#entry129417

bmwbroke019.jpg

I did a how to on changing the roof skin and another on the calibra roof, on the site somewhere?

Edited by Kevin Abbott

If the rust has pop'd through a repair from above will only ever be temporary.

By the time its showing outside the inside will have been rusting for a while (unless there has been damage from above to start the rust)

This is the inside of a manta hatchback roof that had only 2 tiny spots on the outside

rusty-roof-inside.jpg

To stop it you either need to remove the sunroof and tray followed by fitting a glass or sliding steel sunroof (which allows access to the underside of the roof to clean and treat the metal)

Or replace the complete roof skin with a non sunroof version

This is the Achilles heel of the mantas fitted with the standard sliding metal sunroof.

If the rust has pop'd through a repair from above will only ever be temporary.

By the time its showing outside the inside will have been rusting for a while (unless there has been damage from above to start the rust)

This is the inside of a manta hatchback roof that had only 2 tiny spots on the outside

rusty-roof-inside.jpg

To stop it you either need to remove the sunroof and tray followed by fitting a glass or sliding steel sunroof (which allows access to the underside of the roof to clean and treat the metal)

Or replace the complete roof skin with a non sunroof version

This is the Achilles heel of the mantas fitted with the standard sliding metal sunroof.

Most of that rust is irrelevant and won't make it's way through the roof before the rest of the car is dust. The rust spots on the outside tend to coincide with the foam packing pieces.

My wife's Kadett C coupe, without sunroof, is 34 years old and the inside of the roof makes that one look mint. No holes on the outside. Only thing I can think is the roof held an air bubble when it went through the primer as it is bare inside.

i wouldnt rule out the glass sunroof mate, its quick n cheap and if you buy a bigger one then the manta one you can cut out the rust, i cant see how lead loading will work as its nothing to load on to. 1 sheet of steel.

heres mine what i did on my hatch, http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/5535-my-hatch-r1-power/page__st__100

i wouldnt rule out the glass sunroof mate, its quick n cheap and if you buy a bigger one then the manta one you can cut out the rust, i cant see how lead loading will work as its nothing to load on to. 1 sheet of steel.

heres mine what i did on my hatch, http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/5535-my-hatch-r1-power/page__st__100

Lead loading has been used for specifically just that for decades.

If VX Opel was still up there was a nice "how to lead load your roof holes" in one of Robbie's threads.

for little holes thats ok, but surley big holes it would just fall though? never done it, seen it used on filling gaps n dints not holes. i still think the cheapest and easiest would still be an oversized glass sunroof.

It takes practice, but it is possible to lead load bigger holes. Fine line between the solder being like butter and liquid.