E36 Grn C20Xe Start Prob. No Spark?

taylorblue5

Alright guys, bit of a nightmare at the mo. Got the car already to go for an mot and now the bugger wont start, checked n no spark.

Changed plugs, tried another coil still no spark. There is power going to the coil but none to the plugs.

A couple of days ago it was running strange, cutting out etc but now theres no life. Its got an aftermarket laser line alarm but theres never been a problem.

Does anyone know a fault etc that could be causing this problem or had a similar experience? Thanks.

I know there are a couple of different coil packs, I had a melted MBE ecu possibly because I had an inferior coil pack. On a trackday I could get two and a half laps before it went down onto three cylinders then stop for a bit it was fine. Eventually melted and that was that.

Im leaning towards the crank sensor i must admit, it the only thing i havent checked. My fuel pump relay has never worked properly so i by passed it and built my own fuel system. The only difference is its no longer bolted to the chassis but it is earthed via a cable. Il have a look tomorrow anyway, is there anyway to sort a dodgy crank sensor without replacing it? im gettin tired of throwing money at problems. lol.

I took the crank sensor out today, looks fine. Dont really want to spend more cash on a replacement thats not broken but hink i going to have to replace everything to get to the bottom of the problem. Waiting on my new flame thrower coil coming. FINGERS CROSSED its the coil, otherwise il need to buy ignition amplifiers, crank sensors, ecu, loom etc etc. hate wiring its pish, also hate when folk leave cut wires in the loom and all over the car, no idea whats wot.

Scott I had the car running before I sold it to you, before the fuel hoses went knacked and corroded). I didn't fit the engine it was done professionally (they did 3 transplants for me with complete success every time). All the cut wires were only ever related to the alarm (the one's I knew about anyway). That ECU has been in 3 cars too to suit the engine.

like you said yourself, you have had it running, but the car was sat a few years so somethings had to give - NOT MUCH HELP AT ALL I KNOW.

Hope you get it sorted mate, the finish line is so close for you now! I just want to offer you encouragement because you have done a fine job so far in bring back a Manta to life which I had otherwise killed by leaving on my driveway, this is just the last hurdle I'm sure!

Best of luck mate GAZ

Cheers guys, Gaz it's been runnin fine for months, then when i go to take it out on the road it shit itself. lol.

Bought a new crank sensor and fuel pump relay, il have a look for this illusive switched live wire tomorrow also,

Does anybody have any idea which wires do what on the relay? Diagram etc, the relay has never worked so im guessin a replacement wont either.

Not yet Gaz, Iv drivin it dwn the road a few times bt not enough to get a feel for it. Iv got the rear drums and cylinders to do and it should be ready for its mot. Cant wait tho. Need to drive to cornwall in jan for a course and i fancy havin a Manta adventure!

Have a vote guys, will i get there and back without incident?? lol.