Coilovers

biffy1984

Quick question here, anybody who runs coilovers in their Manta, are the strut tops strong enough to cope with the weight of the car on them or do you have to seam weld/beef them up? I seem to remember a post somewhere on here about coilovers but can't seem to find it.

Cheers

Peter.

i would have thought you would need to weld in proper inner wings/strut tops like on a bmw .

its not designed to carry the weight of the car as standard .

have heard of the standard set up failing on that join and poping though to strike the bonnet .

there was a thread some time ago where one of the members here modified his manta in this (bmw) way and it looked the buisiness .

in the project bit somwhere

Thanks for the link Gary, this was the topic I was thinking of. So I have a pair of Avo coilovers for the back, don't have any for the front yet but will need to adjust the height of the back when I fit my new wheels... just planning ahead.

So am I right in saying if you seamweld the front strut tops the rears will be fine as they are???

Cheers.

I wouldn't have thought they would be strong enough, i would defo be reinforcing them as the whole weight of the rear is hanging on them. Also if you are going coilovers at the front DON'T mount them onto the top wishbone, they will bend over time. Bought a set of top wishbones with sphericals and a set of coilovers second hand and the wishbones were twisted out of shape by about an inch.

I would at least double the thickness of the skin and gusset the chassis legs into the bulkhead with reinforcing plates there as well.

A better way would prob be to mount the front coilovers on the lower arm and fit similar to the position of an A series manta damper, which would mean modding the subframe.

Chris

As per lamchop.

all you need to do is to think about the weight bearing down on the shock turrets, this isn't currently there with the springs and the wishbones taking the load, and the wishbones aren't made of thin inner wing type steel.

anyone that has owned an Opel Monza may well know what a nightmare area the suspension turrets are on those cars, basically the turrets start moving towards each other over time, and pull the wing inwards too, and that is on a vehicle specifically built to take the stresses,

In my experience, the front inner wings are not strong enough as others have said, BUT that rear turrets are ok. Would benefit from seam welding if rallying it, but they are ok with coilovers

PS bear in mind that with decent dampers, over rough roads the damper mounts take as much load as the spring seats!!

As per lamchop.

all you need to do is to think about the weight bearing down on the shock turrets, this isn't currently there with the springs and the wishbones taking the load, and the wishbones aren't made of thin inner wing type steel.

anyone that has owned an Opel Monza may well know what a nightmare area the suspension turrets are on those cars, basically the turrets start moving towards each other over time, and pull the wing inwards too, and that is on a vehicle specifically built to take the stresses,

Excactly. The Rekord E series is the same as are the Commodore C´s. They pull the steel around the turret expecially between the turret and the front wing, and they tend to rust quite bad at this location as the paint cracks when the car moves.

Regarding the Coilover option for Manta B i would not recommend it. There is simply no reason to do it and no gains compared to a proper Manta B setup. The front axle like the Mercedes 190 is actually quite brilliant for racing and steering range can be upgraded quite a bit with the wishbone setup wich is perfect for rallying.

The rear end is where the real effort should be made. The perfect setup would be a independent rear axle setup instead of the live axle. If keeping the rear axle a 4 link setup is very strongly recommended!