Urgent! Suspension Springs

Robert1234

The longer narrower on will be the rear and the wider one will be the front. I dont think it really matters which way up they go, its just a case of getting them seated at the top and you can move the rubbers around at the bottom. Im sure new springs usually have writing on them at some point , i always put the writing the correct way up. Correct me if i am wrong people out there ?

The longer narrower on will be the rear and the wider one will be the front. I dont think it really matters which way up they go, its just a case of getting them seated at the top and you can move the rubbers around at the bottom. Im sure new springs usually have writing on them at some point , i always put the writing the correct way up. Correct me if i am wrong people out there ?

Oh dear, I've put the rear ones on the front :/

Never mind, btw I don't have any rubbers at the bottom, only at the top.

And the front ones I took off were the same diameter as the new ones so I guessed they would be the right ones, obviously I guessed wrong. Job for tomorrow I suppose :D

I got the shorter ones at the front on mine, as one of the longer ones was already fitted to the back :unsure: Before I painted mine the shorter ones did have "front" etched and "F" painted on to them. Mine are the Spax 40mm lower type. Don't quote me on this just an observation on my part.

the larger ones have a code on them 70-020/R I'm guessing the R means rear?

And I don't think the wide ones will fit on the front :S

EDIT: And the front ones match is diameter near enough and fit really nice, the wide ones I doubt would fit in the rubber mount at the top or the plate at the bottom.

Edited by Robert1234

The springs have the spring kits code on them but with a forward slash at the end then an R (70-020/R) surely the R is for rear.

I've been out onto the drive and looked at the car, the rear springs are definitely shorter and fatter than the fronts.

OPEL

Just check this link out http://www.avouk.com...Frameset-84.htm

Click opel in the drop down menu its for a manta coupe B.

Edited by Robert1234

Shorter Springs in your pic go on the front. There is a rubber spring seat that sits on top of the spring and put the tighter coils to the top, there is no rubber bottom spring seat on the fronts they mount directly onto the lower wishbone.

The longer springs in your pic fit on the back, again there is a top thick solid rubber spring seat that goes to the top mounting position of the spring, and there should be a thinner rubber piece that goes in the cup of the trailing arm/spring seat area. Again tighter wound coils I've always put to the top.

IF the springs don't fit then there is something amiss with what has been sent to you.

In summary

There is less suspension travel at the front of the Manta than the rear, hence the longer springs and shocks will go to the rear. I've used lowered coils on many an occaision where the rears will drop out when the vehicle is jacked up, the springs you have look well designed so that they will not fall out when jacked uo at the rear.

Loads more weight at the front of Manta compared to the rear, hence there should be thicker tighter wound coils to the front.

Been there and done this times, Not always been clear which goes where, but yours are to me.

Shorter Springs in your pic go on the front. There is a rubber spring seat that sits on top of the spring and put the tighter coils to the top, there is no rubber bottom spring seat on the fronts they mount directly onto the lower wishbone.

The longer springs in your pic fit on the back, again there is a top thick solid rubber spring seat that goes to the top mounting position of the spring, and there should be a thinner rubber piece that goes in the cup of the trailing arm/spring seat area. Again tighter wound coils I've always put to the top.

IF the springs don't fit then there is something amiss with what has been sent to you.

In summary

There is less suspension travel at the front of the Manta than the rear, hence the longer springs and shocks will go to the rear. I've used lowered coils on many an occaision where the rears will drop out when the vehicle is jacked up, the springs you have look well designed so that they will not fall out when jacked uo at the rear.

Loads more weight at the front of Manta compared to the rear, hence there should be thicker tighter wound coils to the front.

Been there and done this times, Not always been clear which goes where, but yours are to me.

Cheers clive, I will have to check which way round my fronts are. I think I will have to turn them around......doh :blink:

I recently ordered standard new front springs for my B. I haven't had a chance to fit them yet, but I would say they look longer and thinner likes the ones in the left on your picture. In fact I was surprised just how long they look not fitted to the car.

I'm a bit concerned they've sent me the wrong ones now!

I recently ordered standard new front springs for my B. I haven't had a chance to fit them yet, but I would say they look longer and thinner likes the ones in the left on your picture. In fact I was surprised just how long they look not fitted to the car.

I'm a bit concerned they've sent me the wrong ones now!

Ha ha yeah original Manta B springs are about 8 miles long.

Seriously though, the B series coils are long and do look like the coil on the left in the pic at the head of this topic, amd if I remember correct the rears are again thinner than the fronts, at least there is no "which way up?" with the original springs

Well if the wider shorter coils don't fit the front, then I would suggest that something is not quite right with what you have been supplied.

First off, the shorter springs are progressive rate, and yet the longer ones aren't.

In the sets of springs i've had over the years when progressive rate springs are supplied they are progressive rate all round.

Secondly, I don't think there is a great deal if any in the outside diameter of the front springs compared to the rear, but I could well be wrong there.

When you say you put the wider shorter ones on the front and they do not fit properly at all, in which way do they not fit properly.

Both rear and fronts should sit snugly in their respective upper rubber seats.

Edited by opel2000

Well if the wider shorter coils don't fit the front, then I would suggest that something is not quite right with what you have been supplied.

First off, the shorter springs are progressive rate, and yet the longer ones aren't.

In the sets of springs i've had over the years when progressive rate springs are supplied they are progressive rate all round.

Secondly, I don't think there is a great deal if any in the outside diameter of the front springs compared to the rear, but I could well be wrong there.

When you say you put the wider shorter ones on the front and they do not fit properly at all, in which way do they not fit properly.

Both rear and fronts should sit snugly in their respective upper rubber seats.

Ah ok.

The wide ones don't fit the front because they are just too wide to fit snugly in the rubber top mounts, the springs overhang the mounts by a few mill.

The standard springs on the rear are shorter and wider than the standard front ones.

I'm going to call avo tomorrow and see what they say, also the springs with F marked on them are the same height as the original springs, I don't see how it can lower the car 30mm if they are the same height?

Hi

I have had this same problem on one occasion with the Manta Front Springs not fitting when I have sold the AVO kit. I am sure they are designed for the Manta B/CC and don't fit a B or something like that. AVO will be able to confirm.

As for lengths being the same and not lowering 30mm, you must also take into account the material used to make the springs, the number of coils and how they are wound along with wire diameter.

Regards

Tim

Hi

I have had this same problem on one occasion with the Manta Front Springs not fitting when I have sold the AVO kit. I am sure they are designed for the Manta B/CC and don't fit a B or something like that. AVO will be able to confirm.

As for lengths being the same and not lowering 30mm, you must also take into account the material used to make the springs, the number of coils and how they are wound along with wire diameter.

Regards

Tim

Hmm could be possible, but the long ones are 100% for the front.

The standard rear ones are wider and shorter than the standard front ones, i'll call avo in the morning and see what they say.