Omega V6 Engine; What Gear Box Will Fit It With A Speedo Cable And Cable Clutch?

Dave Stampy

You're ok as long as you have the "stub" that sticks out of the back of the omega box. If you unbolt the big flappy plate thing that holds the stick, you'll see where the shifter goes into the back of the omega box. Just behind where it enters the box casing there is a metal block with two pins through it. I need up to and including that block, but nothing behind it. The clevis on my shifter fits onto the rear pin on that block.

PS just read the full thread. Re. Ford type 9 boxes, a standard type 9 box is no stronger than a manta 1800 one, in fact probably weaker. I have broken an equal number of both I would guess! The benefit of the type 9 is that you can get lots of aftermarket gearkits for them, rated up to 275hp, at which point the casing is at its limit. (even reinforced ones)

PS will get onto sorting a batch of these shifters this weekend.....not enough hours in the day! Will get the bearings and clevises ordered!

a standard type 9 box is no stronger than a manta 1800 one, in fact probably weaker.

You know what Nat, that was always my impression, but never actually having had experience of them I could never really comment.

Also sounds like you may be getting busy on the fabrication front, if I wasn't so tied up at weekends I'd pop over and cobble those up for you mate.