Manual Box

kerplunk

Well, my Ascona A's been laid up for over a year now since I killed the engine and ran out of money!

I've decided to throw out the pesky auto box and convert it to manual and get it sorted for summer.

Anyone have one lying around?

would a 5 speed go straight in or should I stick to the 4 for now?

cheers, Lee.

Hi there, i've just fitted a five speed to my manta a so the 4 speed is available if interested, would think a 5 speed would go in with a few mods but don't know for sure, some one else will probably be along and let you know soon, cheers

Hia Lee, my a series manta is already fitted with a 2.0s engine, to fit the five speed i had to bash the transmission tunnel back a little around by the starter, fitted the 2.0 litre clutch and release bearing as they are different to the four speed ones, used the four speed clutch fork in the five speed box as that is different where the cable sits, bought a shortened gear linkage from paulmanta on here that puts the gear stick in the original hole in the floor otherwise it would be about 3-4 inches further back, had to make up a new gearbox cross member as that is different and i had to shorten a 1.8 prop by about 3 inches. The four speed prop has different splines where it enters the box so you will need to source a five speed prop to fit the getrag 5 speed, thats what i did for my a series, your ascona may be different, i don't know, as i said someone else has probably already done an ascona so with a bit of luck they may post up what you need, if you have no joy and want the 4 speed message me, cheers John

Wow, right! I think I'll stick with the 4 speed then for now, I just wanna get it back on the road.

Will I need to source clutch fork if you've used it in the 5 speed conversion?

Is the actual gear stick still attached?

Don't suppose you ever venture away from Mold?

I used to deliver to a container storage yard there a few years ago. I'm over in Whitby now.

Hi again, yes the gear lever is still attached, you can have a 5 speed clutch fork with it, don't know if it will work with your cable, depends which cable you have, the 4 speed has a hole and slot with a dimple in it for the nipple on the cable to locate into, the five speed is just a round hole and the cable has a nut adjuster on it. I venture from Mold quite often but not as far as whitby unfortunately, been up there for holidays a few times, lovely area :)

i should have the clutch fork in question will take a look tomorrow.

what model a series ascona have you got i have a 2 door project on the go at the moment.

the five speed box bolts right up on the auto cross member as auto box is same fitting as five speed so less hastle to convert.

i have a few spare five speed propshafts you can take one with pleasure no charge to get cut down to 1.8 manta auto length.

to move gearstick forward on five speed takes about an hour with a grinder and welder easy to sort out really.